1. NEW – Planned Parenthood harrassment
I was forwarded a message from Linda McCarthy, Executive Director, Mount Baker Planned Parenthood: “Our Mount Vernon health center is having more aggressive picketing for 40 Days starting 9/25 as part of the “40 Days of Life” harassment campaign. I wanted to let you know as the picketers are mostly men and more aggressive. We have called the police a few times this week and they are supportive. Please don’t engage with the protestors and if you notice they park in our property or trespass please let us know and take a picture if it is safe to do so.”2. The League of Women Voters of Skagit County will host a Candidate Forum for the Mount Vernon Mayor, City Council and Hospital District 4 Position 1 races, Monday, Sep 30, 7:00pm – 8:30pm, Skagit PUD, 1415 Freeway Drive, Mount Vernon
3. UPDATED – The League of Women Voters of Skagit County will host a Candidate Forum for the La Conner School Board, Wednesday, Oct 2, 7:00pm – 8:30pm, La Conner Civic Garden Club, 622 Second Street, La Conner
4. UPDATED – The League of Women Voters of Skagit County will host a Candidate Forum for Burlington Mayor and School Board, Thursday, Oct 3, 7:00pm – 8:30pm, Burlington Library, 820 East Washington Avenue, Burlington
5. NEW – Marblemount Community Club Open House and Membership Drive, Saturday, Oct 5, 4:00pm – 7:00pm, Marblemount Community Hall, 60155 State Route 20, Marblemount
The club will serve pulled pork, baked beans, coleslaw, and beverages on a donation basis. Local musical talent will serenade diners throughout the evening and be available for sing along/play along.
6. NEW – 14th Annual Concrete Ghost Walk, Saturdays in October, 6:00pm – 8:00pm, Concrete Theatre, 45920 Main Street, Concrete
Tickets aren’t available at the door. The event often sells out, so please purchase well in advance. Click Here for ticket information.
7. NEW – 21st Annual Skagit Valley Festival of Family Farms, Saturday & Sunday, Oct 5 & 6, various locations
Free for all ages.
8. NEW – Humane Society of Skagit Valley’s 24th Annual Black Cat Live & Silent Dinner Auction, Saturday, Oct 05, 5:30pm – 9:00pm, Best Western Plus Skagit Valley’s Convention Center, 2300 Market Street, Mount Vernon
$65 per ticket.
9. Two candidate forums planned in October in Anacortes
- Oct. 10, 11:30am, Anacortes Lutheran Church. The event is part of the Anacortes Chamber of Commerce monthly membership luncheon. People who are not chamber members must RSVP at 360-293-7911. Lunch is $20. Candidates will visit each table, and each table will have a moderator. Anacortes Chamber President Stephanie Hamilton said that style of forum will allow guests to meet and ask questions of each candidate.
- Oct. 15, 5:30pm, Anacortes City Hall. Open to the public. Invited to participate in the forums: the candidates for state Senate, Anacortes City Council, Anacortes School Board, Anacortes Port Commission, Hospital Commission, and Fidalgo Pool and Fitness Center Commission.
10. Skagit County Housing Summit, Oct 15, 3:00pm – 7:00pm, McIntyre Hall, Skagit Valley College, 2501 East College Way, Mount Vernon
During the 2017-18 school year, 769 students were identified as experiencing homelessness. Skagit County Apartment Vacancy Rate: 0 – that’s the lowest in the state. Click Here for ticket and registration information.
11. NEW – “Let’s Talk about Race”, Tuesday, Oct 22, 6:30pm – 7:30pm, Burlington Public Library, 820 East Washington Avenue, Burlington