Skagit County Central Committee Meeting, Sat, Aug 10, 10 to Noon, Skagit HQ
- This event has passed.
Skagit County Democrats Central Committee Meeting Schedule for 2019
This is for all PCOs to vote but everyone is welcome to our meetings.
Saturday, August 10, 10 to Noon, Skagit Dems’ Headquarters
Once again it’s my privilege to call the Central Committee of the Skagit County Democratic Party to meet on Saturday, August 10 at 10:00 am at our party headquarters at 300A South First Avenue in Mount Vernon. Agenda and July minutes are attached.
The main agenda item of our meeting on the 10th will be the first of two steps to approve a revision of our bylaws. Attached is the proposed revision with the changes from the current bylaws highlighted in yellow. There is also a spreadsheet summarizing the changes that have been made. In their last meeting, the Executive Board approved sending this copy of the revised bylaws to the Central Committee for final approval. That final approval now follows a two-step process defined in our current bylaws:
• On Aug. 10 the main goal is for the Central Committee members to understand the proposed changes so they can make an informed vote in October. It is also the last chance to offer new amendments to the revised bylaws.
o The bylaws changes will be introduced article by article, with a quick summary of the reasons for the changes.
o For each article, Central Committee members can ask questions to better understand the changes, and offer amendments to the changed (highlighted) material.
o The only votes in this meeting will be to approve any new amendments raised during the meeting.
Each amendment must be submitted in writing using the attached form.
In the meeting each amendment will be offered as a motion and will require a 2/3rds majority vote to be adopted.
All adopted amendments will be incorporated in the draft of the revised bylaws presented in the October meeting.
• In the October Central Committee meeting, the Central Committee will vote for final approval of the various parts of the revision. Approval of each part will require a 2/3rds majority vote.
Our current bylaws require that we complete the reading of the bylaws and debate any further changes at this meeting so that they can be approved at our October meeting. For that reason, we will defer all other business on the agenda until the reading is completed.
In the Aug. 10th meeting Central Committee members can submit amendments to any of the changed (highlighted) text in the revised document. Use the attached form to specify each amendment:
• Email completed forms to Alan Brewer (bylaws committee chair) by Thursday, August 8 at firstname.lastname@example.org
• If you do not have your amendments ready by Aug. 8, you can bring completed forms to the meeting, or fill in a form at the meeting, and present them to the Secretary for consideration.
• The author should plan to attend the meeting in order to raise their amendment as a motion.
Our bylaws are the foundation of how we operate. Your participation is essential to make sure they make us more welcoming and more effective. I look forward to seeing you on August 10th.
Skagit County Democrats
Later this year:
Saturday, October 12, 10 to Noon, Skagit Dems’ Headquarters
Skagit Democrat Headquarters: 300A S 1st St, Mount Vernon