1. NEW – Correction to our report of AK-47 replicas for sale at the Skagit County Fair
We want to correct the information we provided last week in regard to someone offering “inflatable AK-47’s” at the County Fair. It was not the Republican booth that was offering those items but an independent vendor. We were misinformed and regret not checking our sources more closely. Our report of the Republicans festooning the stage with “Trump” signs and the Fair’s response was accurate.2. NEW – Fidalgo Democrats have shared YouTube video links to two recent presentations
3. Indivisible Bellingham is hosting a 40th Legislative District Representative candidate forum Wednesday, Aug 21, 6:00pm (5:30pm light potluck), Bellingham Unitarian Fellowship (lower level), 1207 Ellsworth Street, Bellingham
4. NEW – Island County Democrats‘ Annual Summerfest, Saturday, Aug 24, 3:00pm – 7:00pm, home of Grethe Cammermeyer and Diane Divelbess, 4632 Tompkins Road, Langley
This is a major fund-raiser for Island County Democrats. Tickets are available only at the door: $20 for adults, $15 for youths 17 – 20; ages 12 and under are free. The ticket includes the lunch buffet and a glass of wine or beer or a soft drink and an opportunity for great conversations with like-minded folks. Please RSVP (not necessary but helpful) – Click Here
5. NEW – Phonebank for 40th Legislative District Senator Liz Lovelett hosted by Young Democrats of Washington, Sunday, Aug 25, 3:30pm – 6:00pm, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
6. Reception in support of 2nd Congressional District Representative Rick Larsen, Wednesday, Aug 28, 5:30pm – 6:30pm, Bad Dog Distillery, 19109 63rd Avenue Northeast, Arlington
Please RSVP to Zach Martin at 360-797-9256 or email@example.com.
7. The 39th Legislative District Democrats are seeking volunteers to staff the Democrats’ booth at the Evergreen State Fair in Monroe Aug 26 and Sep 1
We are looking for folks who can staff the table for four hour shifts. The Fair is in the heart of the 39th and will be a great opportunity for us to connect with voters in our district! Please sign up below!
8. NEW – Northwest Washington Central Labor Council’s Labor Day Picnic, Monday, Sep 2, Noon to 4:00pm, Riverfront Park, 901 River Road, Sedro-Woolley
Music, Burgers, Chicken, and Salmon provided by the NWWCLC. Bring a side dish!
9. NEW – The 10th Legislative District Democrats 1st annual Grilled Salmon Picnic, Saturday Sep 14, 1:00pm – 5:00pm, Pioneer Park, 1200 South 4th Street, La Conner
Tickets are $25 (includes salmon dinner with corn or fresh seasonal vegetable, a variety of salads, drinks, and desserts). Beer and wine will be available. There will be a few political speeches, a silent auction and a raffle, as well as music by singer-songwriters Steve DeHaven and Gary Kanter. Tickets may be purchased on Brown Paper Tickets (https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4293318).
10. NEW – National honor for 40th Legislative District Representative Debra Lekanoff
From the Anacortes American, Aug 14 – “State Rep. Debra Lekanoff, D-Bow, was awarded the annual Rising Environmental Leader Award Aug. 3 at the National Caucus of Environmental Legislators forum in Nashville. The award goes to lawmakers who show strong leadership on environmental issues early in their legislative careers. “We are at a critical time in our history,” Lekanoff said in the announcement. “It’s vital we address the impact of climate change head on for today and for all the generations behind us.” In 2019, Lekanoff successfully sponsored legislation to protect orca populations in Puget Sound. She also served as vice chair of the House Committee on Environment and Energy, passing some of the nation’s strongest environmental protection and clean energy policies.”
11. Call for a diverse group of volunteers
Our party is a “party of inclusion”. “Discrimination on the basis of gender/gender identity, race, age, religion, sexual orientation, economic status, disability, physical appearance, or ethnic origin is prohibited” when we conduct party business. (Article III of our By-Laws). Yet, our committees, as well as our organization, do not reflect adequately the amazing diversity of our community. Let’s fix this!
As a first step, if you are a Democrat in any of the above categories, join our current committees: Finance, Fundraising and Gala, Membership, Technology, Communications, Resolution, and Endorsement, and consider joining a new committee recently created by the Executive Board on Diversity and Racial Equity. And tell us what we need to do so that the committees/organization are more responsive to your needs, issues and concerns around meeting times and support networks. And don’t be surprised if we reach out to you. We want you! Contact staff: firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. Purchase opportunity to help the Skagit County Democrats – Portable Canvas Shed
We have, at the Skagit Democrats Headquarters in Mount Vernon, a large Portable Canvas Shed (Click Here), “ABBA SHED” 8’x14′. It is a large cover that can be used for a party, shed to store items, and other potential uses, like a large picnic. This item was donated by a great Democrat as part of the Gala auction. The proceeds from this Shed will be used in much needed Party expenses. The suggested value is $400. However, if you are interested, please do make an offer at/to Headquarters Staff, 360-366-1555. Your support will be greatly appreciated.
13. NEW – Links of the Week
The Link of the Week provides in-depth pieces the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.