1. NEW – Volunteers Needed to staff our table for the Downtown Mount Vernon Sidewalk Sale, Friday and Saturday, Jul 26 and 27, 10:00am – 5:00pm, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
Sign up for times available at the Headquarters Office or call staff at 360-336-1555.
2. NEW – Volunteers Needed for the Skagit County Fair
Volunteers are needed to staff our Skagit County Democrats booth at the Skagit County Fair, Aug 7 – 10. Sign up for slots (4-hour blocks starting at 10:00am) at the Headquarters Office or call staff at 360-336-1555. We especially need shifts covered for set-up (9:00am) Wednesday, Aug 7 and take-down on Saturday, Aug 10.
3. Non-Partisan Candidate Endorsements
Readers, please help get the word out to all candidates for non-partisan offices that our Executive Board has asked the Endorsement Committee to consider them for endorsement in the coming elections.
Candidates need only make a written letter application, citing the office for which they are running, their qualifications, and any additional information they wish. Applications, electronic or hard copy, must be received not later than 4:00 pm on Monday, Jul 22, at the Skagit County Democrats Headquarters Office (mailing address: 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon, WA 98273).
The Endorsement Committee will meet at 4:00pm on Tuesday, Jul 23, at the Skagit County Democrats Office to interview candidates and consider their endorsement requests. The membership of Skagit County Democrats will meet at 10:00am on Saturday, Jul 27, in our Mount Vernon office to consider the Endorsement Committee’s recommendations.
This is an opportunity for non-partisan candidates to gain additional name recognition and support. We hope they will seize it.
4. NEW – General Membership Meeting to consider Endorsements, Saturday, Jul 27, 10:00am, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
This meeting is for all Skagit County Democrats members in good standing and Precinct Committee Officers. Non-members are welcome to attend to hear the candidates and may join in the discussions. We will consider the recommendation of the Endorsement Committee regarding any candidate who seeks endorsement at its meeting on July 23.
5. NEW – Skagit County Democrats will be hosting Democratic Presidential Candidate Debate watch parties on Tuesday and Wednesday, Jul 30 and 31, 5:30pm, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
Join your fellow progressives and see who makes history. Doors open at 5:30 both nights. Snacks and beverages will be served.
6. NEW – Please join Bill Dewey and Bill Taylor for a reception in support of Congressman Rick Larsen, Tuesday, Jul 30, 5:30pm – 6:30pm, Taylor Shellfish Farms, 2182 Chuckanut Drive, Bow
Please RSVP to Zach Martin at 360-797-9256 or email@example.com. Click Here for more information.
7. Labor Neighbor 2019, Knock for Senator Liz Lovelett! Aug 3, 9:00am – 1:00pm, Meet at the Northwest Washington Central Labor Council, 1700 North State Street, Bellingham
Bellingham Labor Neighbor is the Washington State Labor Council’s grassroots member-to-member political action program. Union volunteers engage with fellow union members to inform them and their families about the candidates and ballot measures that have earned labor’s endorsement. Non-union people are welcome – you will walk with union members.
To volunteer, please RSVP to Lori Province, Northwest Washington Central Labor Council Project Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 206-351-2956, or email President Michele Stelovich at email@example.com. If you are interested in possible Post Carding, call or email Lori to get an update.
8. NEW – We are now using Act Blue to receive funds on-line rather than through our bank
“ActBlue is a nonprofit [organization] building fundraising technology for the left.” It is not controlled by any candidate or candidate’s committee. It is a secure website and can be reached through the Donation button on our website.
9. Important Dates for August 6 Primary Election
- July 29 – Deadline to register or update existing registration online and by mail (Click Here for more information.)
- August 6 – Deadline for in-person registration and voter updates – Closes 8:00 PM
- August 6 – Deadline to file write-in candidacy for primary – Closes 8:00 PM
- August 6 – 2019 Primary Election Day – Closes 8:00 PM
10. Purchase opportunity to help the Skagit County Democrats – Portable Canvas Shed
We have, at the Skagit Democrats Headquarters in Mount Vernon, a large Portable Canvas Shed (Click Here), “ABBA SHED” 8’x14′. It is a large cover that can be used for a party, shed to store items, and other potential uses, like a large picnic. This item was donated by a great Democrat as part of the Gala auction. The proceeds from this Shed will be used in much needed Party expenses. The suggested value is $400. However, if you are interested, please do make an offer at/to Headquarters Staff, 360-366-1555. Your support will be greatly appreciated
11. NEW – Links of the Week
The Link of the Week provides in-depth pieces the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.