1. NEW – Non-Partisan Candidate Endorsements
Readers, please help get the word out to all candidates for non-partisan offices that our Executive Board has asked the Endorsement Committee to consider them for endorsement in the coming elections.Candidates need only make a written letter application, citing the office for which they are running, their qualifications, and any additional information they wish. Applications, electronic or hard copy, must be received not later than 4:00 pm on Monday, Jul 22, at the Skagit County Democrats Headquarters Office (mailing address: 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon, WA 98273).The Endorsement Committee will meet at 4:00pm on Tuesday, Jul 23, at the Skagit County Democrats Office to interview candidates and consider their endorsement requests. The membership of Skagit County Democrats will meet at 10:00am on Saturday, Jul 27, in our Mount Vernon office to consider the Endorsement Committee’s recommendations.
This is an opportunity for non-partisan candidates to gain additional name recognition and support. We hope they will seize it.
2. The next PCO Get-Together is scheduled for Tuesday, Jul 16, 6:00pm, Max Dale’s Steak & Chop House, 2030 Riverside Drive, Mount Vernon
3. NEW – Labor Neighbor 2019, Knock for Senator Liz Lovelett! Jul 20 & Aug 3, 9:00am – 1:00pm
Bellingham Labor Neighbor is the Washington State Labor Council’s grassroots member-to-member political action program. Union volunteers engage with fellow union members to inform them and their families about the candidates and ballot measures that have earned labor’s endorsement. Non-union people are welcome – you will walk with union members.
Volunteers are needed for the following neighborhood walks in the 40th Legislative District on behalf of the WSLC’s endorsed candidate for State Senate, Senator Liz Lovelett.
- Saturday, Jul 20 from 9:00am – 1:00pm – Meet at the Northwest Washington Central Labor Council, 1700 North State Street, Bellingham
- Saturday, Aug 3 from 9:00am – 1:00pm – Meet at the Northwest Washington Central Labor Council, 1700 North State Street, Bellingham
To volunteer, please RSVP to Lori Province, Northwest Washington Central Labor Council Project Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 206-351-2956, or email President Michele Stelovich at email@example.com. If you are interested in possible Post Carding for both dates, call or email Lori to get an update.
4. Precinct Committee Officer County-Wide Doorbelling, Saturday, Jul 20
Alex DelRosario and Lynn Campbell are excited to launch their first county-wide doorbelling event for all PCO’s. (This event is also open to members and volunteers.) We are reaching out to our community in order to lay the groundwork for 2020. Please email Alex (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Lynn Campbell (email@example.com) if you are interested in participating in this event. It would be awesome if you can come to one of these events:
- 10th Legislative District, Mount Vernon Meeting Location – Lynn Campbell’s house (address will be given if you express interest in going to this event), Time: 10:00am – 2:00pm, Sign up here
- 39th Legislative District, Sedro-Woolley Meeting Location – Germaine Kornegay’s house (address will be given if you express interest in going to this event), Time: 10:00am – 2:00pm, Sign up here
- 40th Legislative District, Anacortes Meeting Location – Bob Doll’s house (address will be given if you express interest in going to this event), Time: 12:00pm – 4:00pm, Sign up here
5. 10th Legislative District Executive Board Meeting, Saturday, Jul 20, 10:00am – 12:00pm, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
6. The 39th Legislative District Democrats General Meeting and Potluck Brunch is scheduled for Sunday, Jul 21, 10:00am – 1:00pm, Stillaguamish Room, 154 West Cox Street, Arlington
We know meetings in the summer can be challenging but it is crucial for important business (like endorsements) to be dealt with in a timely manner. We are not expecting a particularly business-heavy meeting, so bring the family and a potluck brunch item and join us for a laid back general meeting.
7. NEW – Important Dates for August 6 Primary Election
- July 17 – Domestic ballots mailed
- July 18 – Deadline to file as a write-in candidate without paying a filing fee
- July 29 – Deadline to register or update existing registration online and by mail (Click Here for more information.)
- August 6 – Deadline for in-person registration and voter updates – Closes 8:00 PM
- August 6 – Deadline to file write-in candidacy for primary – Closes 8:00 PM
- August 6 – 2019 Primary Election Day – Closes 8:00 PM
8. Purchase opportunity to help the Skagit County Democrats – Portable Canvas Shed
We have, at the Skagit Democrats Headquarters in Mount Vernon, a large Portable Canvas Shed (Click Here), “ABBA SHED” 8’x14′. It is a large cover that can be used for a party, shed to store items, and other potential uses, like a large picnic. This item was donated by a great Democrat as part of the Gala auction. The proceeds from this Shed will be used in much needed Party expenses. The suggested value is $400. However, if you are interested, please do make an offer at/to Headquarters Staff, 360-366-1555. Your support will be greatly appreciated
9. NEW – Links of the Week
The Link of the Week provides in-depth pieces the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.