1. NEW – Washington Democrats will be allocating delegates for the 2020 Democratic nomination for President of the United States with a PRIMARY ELECTION on March 10, 2020
After hearing from more than 12,800 Democrats across the state, we have a decision. Just now at a meeting in Pasco, elected representatives of the Washington State Democratic Central Committee (WSDCC) voted (121 to 40) to use the March 2020 primary results to apportion delegates. The overwhelming majority (93.6%) of the public votes and comments you sent supported this decision.By hosting one of the most important primaries in the country next year, we expect an enormous wave of energy from thousands of Washingtonians, some of whom will be getting involved in politics for the first time. This is a HUGE opportunity to bring in a new wave of volunteers, activists — and even potential future candidates — to fuel progressive change in our state for years to come.
As so many of you expressed in your comments, a full mail-in primary election will allow more voters to engage in the process more easily — including active military, those living out-of-state or overseas, parents, caretakers, and thousands of workers who don’t control their own schedules. Now we expect thousands and thousands more Washington voters will get activated and inspired by our primary — just ONE WEEK after Super Tuesday.
2. Gala tickets are now available for purchase at the Skagit County Democrats Headquarters
$60 per ticket. To purchase tickets or to donate an item for the auction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 360-336-1555 during office hours (Monday – Friday, Noon to 4:00pm). Also, you may purchase tickets online by going to the homepage and clicking on the ‘Donate‘ button. All proceeds benefit the work of the Skagit County Democrats.
The Gala scheduled for Jun 1 has some volunteer positions to fill during the event. The Gala is our major fund raising event of the year.
Time committment for Gala volunteers begins at 4:00pm and ends right after the live auction. If you are interested please call Headquarters at 360-336-1555 or email email@example.com and request more information. A Gala Team member will return your call.
3. Fidalgo Democrats next meets Tuesday, Apr 9, 7:00pm, Anacortes Public Library, 1220 10th Street, Anacortes
Skagit County Auditor Sandy Perkins and Chief Deputy Auditor/Election Supervisor David Cunningham will speak on “How Can We Speed Up the Vote Count in Skagit County?” A couple of issues slowed down the count after the November election. A moderated discussion will follow the speakers. The meeting is open to the public. Please bring friends, family, or colleagues. Also, please bring a non-perishable item for the food bank donation box. For more information call Corinne Salcedo, Chair, at 360-293-7114.
4. NEW – The Skagit County Democrats Executive Board meets Thursday, Apr 11, 5:00pm – 7:00pm, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
5. Democratic Women on the Rocks, Monday, Apr 8, 4:00pm – 6:00pm, 13 Moons Restaurant, Swinomish Casino, 12885 Casino Drive, Anacortes
6. NEW – The 10th Legislative District Democrats Executive Board meets Saturday, Apr 20, 10:00am – 12:00pm, Flyers Restaurant & Brewhouse, 15426 Airport Drive, Burlington
7. Call for Headquarters volunteers for the Tulip Festival Street Fair, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, Apr 19, 20, and 21
Skagit County Democrats try to keep the Headquarters doors open during the Tulip Festival Street Fair. It takes 12 or more people to do so. Sunday of the street fair this year is Easter. Shift coverage is needed as follows:
Friday and Saturday – 9:30am – 2:00pm
2:00pm – 6:30pm
Sunday – 9:30am – 1:00pm
1:00pm – 4:30pm
If more than 6-8 volunteers sign up to work with a key carrier some hours could be shortened. Please call Headquarters at 360-336-1555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer.
8. A doorbelling event is being scheduled for Anacortes, Saturday, Apr 27, 10:00am – 2:00pm, organizing location – Bob Doll’s house, 1319 8th Street, Anacortes
The event is being organized by Northwest Field Organizer Alex del Rosario in collaboration with the 40th Legislative District Democrats and Fidalgo Democrats.
9. NEW – Sno-Isle PCO (Precinct Committee Officer) Training, Apr 28, 1:00pm – 5:00pm, Stanwood Sno-Isle Library, 9701 271st Street Northwest, Stanwood
Target Audience: PCOs from Camano and north Snohomish County, but all Skagit, Island, and Snohomish County PCOs are welcome. This training is appropriate for newly elected or appointed PCOs as well as seasoned veterans. Dinner will be provided. Can’t yet say what will be served, but I’m sure it will be fabulous. Alex Del Rosario, our WA-Dems organizer, will be the presenter. Please RSVP to email@example.com so we can get an accurate count for food planning.
10. NEW – A message from 1st U.S. Congressional District Representative Suzan DelBene – The 2019 Congressional Art Competition
“Each spring, the U.S. House of Representatives sponsors the Congressional Art Competition, an exciting visual arts opportunity for high school students across the country. Washington’s First Congressional District 2019 competition deadline is April 15th — right around the corner! The Congressional Art Competition began in 1982 as an opportunity for members of Congress to recognize and celebrate the artistic talents of their young constituents. Since then, over 650,000 high school students have participated!
Entry submissions can be paintings, drawings, collage, prints, mixed media, computer generated art or photography. The competition is open to all WA-01 high school students. The overall winner’s art will be displayed for one year in the U.S. Capitol with other congressional district winners. The art competition is one of my favorite traditions and I am eager to see the creativity and expression of students in the first district. If you or a student have any questions about the competition, you can contact my office by phone at 425-485-0085 or visit my website.
As always, I am here to help you. If you have questions or comments about the topics that matter most to you, I encourage you to contact me through my website. You may also keep up-to-date on what I’m doing by following me on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Sincerely, Suzan”
11. NEW – Links of the Week
The Link of the Week provides in-depth pieces the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.