1. Gala tickets are now available for purchase at the Skagit County Democrats Headquarters
$60 per ticket. To purchase tickets or to donate an item for the auction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 360-336-1555 during office hours (Monday – Friday, Noon to 4:00pm). Also, you may purchase tickets online by going to the homepage and clicking on the ‘Donate‘ button. All proceeds benefit the work of the Skagit County Democrats.
2. NEW – Primary or Caucus?
The Washington State Democrats are providing a 30-day public comment period for Washington state’s 2020 Delegate Selection and Affirmative Action Plan. You can learn more and submit comments through this website.
3. 40th Legislative District Democrats Legislative Field Trip, Tuesday, Mar 19, 8:00am – 7:00pm, Washington State Capitol Building, Olympia
Wanna give your elected officials a piece of your mind? Join us for our annual 40th District Democrats Legislative Field Trip! We will carpool, caravan or rent a van if necessary and schedule a fun day meeting with 40th legislators Rep. Jeff Morris & Rep. Debra Lekanoff and possibly our next 40th State Senator. The day will also include breakouts times for those who want to visit with other legislators not on our list. 40th Dems will provide some snacks and water and end the day with an optional no-host dinner with Rep. Jeff Morris in Olympia for those who want to stick around! Free for paid members, $15 for non-members. Please RSVP at email@example.com. Full itinerary to be announced. More information: 360-503-8925. Click Here to sign up.
4. NEW – The next Gala Team Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, Mar 21, 1:00pm, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
5. 40th Legislative District Representative Jeff Morris and Senator Liz Lovelett will present a Town Hall, Saturday, Mar 23, 10:00am – Noon, Burlington Community Center, 1011 Greenleaf Avenue, Burlington
They will be focusing mostly on ferries and orcas and will take any questions, comments, or concerns you may have. Click Here for more information.
6. 40th Legislative District Representative Debra Lekanoff will present a Town Hall, Saturday, Mar 23, 9:30am – 10:30am, Fairhaven Middle School, 110 Parkridge Road, Bellingham
7. NEW – 10th Legislative District Representative Dave Paul will attend two Town Halls, Saturday, Mar 23, 10:00am, Whidbey Health, 101 North Main Street, Coupeville and 2:00pm, Stanwood High School, 7400 272nd Street Northwest, Stanwood
Senator Barbara Bailey (R-Oak Harbor) and Representative Norma Smith (R-Clinton) will also be in attendance.
8. Precinct Committee Officer (PCO) training is scheduled for Sunday, Mar 24, 2:00pm – 6:00pm, Skagit Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, 500 West Section Street, Mount Vernon (behind the Post Office)
This training is for long-time PCOs as well as new PCOs. Alex Del Rosio, Northwest Field Organizer from Washington State Democrats will be presenting our PCO training. Please come to learn Best Practices, Vote Builder, and a chance to meet each other and establish relationships with each other. If you have a laptop please bring it with you. New PCOs, please contact Janet McKinney in order to recieve access to Vote Builder. You may also pick up a list of voters in your precinct, free of charge, at Skagit County Auditors Office. Please RSVP to: firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP. Food and drinks will be provided.
9. Everyone who loves grocery workers – Happy Hour, Thursday, Mar 28, 5:00pm to 7:00pm, UFCW (United Food and Commercial Workers) Office, 1510 North 18th Street, Mount Vernon (This event was originally scheduled for Feb 12 but postponed.)
We hope that you can join the workers from UFCW 21 and Teamsters 38 at the Community Kick-Off of the 2019 Grocery Campaign in one of the UFCW 21 offices. This is an historic campaign as grocery workers here in Washington have aligned their contract dates with grocery workers in Colorado and California – over 100,000 workers bargaining at the same time! It is a unique opportunity to understand the common challenges facing grocery workers and demand change.
10. NEW – The 39th Legislative District Democrats General Meeting is scheduled for Saturday, Mar 30, 10:00am – 1:00pm, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
11. Call for 2019 Skagit Gala auction items
This year’s Skagit Democrat Gala is scheduled for Saturday, June 1. Your special gifts have made our Silent and Live Auctions sparkle! And the proceeds of sale on your donations have gone directly to the central work of the Skagit Democratic Party–electing Democrats to office! Would you consider helping once again with a donation? If you have questions about donations for the silent auction, please contact Diane McKern at email@example.com. If you have questions about donations for the live auction, please contact John Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any other questions concerning donations, please call the Democratic Headquarters at 360-336-1555. Items may be delivered to the Skagit County Democratic Headquarters, Monday – Friday, Noon to 4 p.m., or by arrangement with Shirley Viscalla at email@example.com. They would prefer that donations be delivered to Headquarters beginning the week of May 20 and no later than May 29. Thank you again for your loyalty and continued support.
12. A message from 2nd Congressional District Representative Rick Larsen about the Congressional Art Competition
“Are you a creative high school student in Washington’s Second Congressional District or do you know someone who is? Showcase your artwork in this year’s Congressional Art Competition! The winning artist will have their piece displayed in the U.S. Capitol for one year and will receive two airline tickets to Washington, D.C. for the Congressional Institute’s Art Competition Reception in June.
The deadline to submit a piece of art to my office is April 26, 2019, at 4:00 p.m. For a full list of guidelines, please visit my website here. Last year, Ana Anderson of Friday Harbor won with her piece “Close your Eyes and Fly Away.” I was delighted to honor Ana at the Congressional Institute’s Art Competition Reception in D.C.
Art can be mailed or delivered to:
Rep. Rick Larsen
Re: Art Competition
Wall Street Building
2930 Wetmore Avenue, Suite 9F
Everett, WA 98201
Rep. Rick Larsen
Re: Art Competition
119 North Commercial Street, Suite 275
Bellingham, WA 98225
If you would like to drop art off at the Bellingham office, please call 425-252-3188 to make an appointment. If you are not sure if you are a constituent of the Second Congressional District, please check here. If you have any questions or would like more information about the Congressional Art Competition, please visit my website. or call my district office at 425.252.3188. I look forward to seeing the submissions this year and highlighting the talented students of Washington’s Second District. Sincerely, Rick Larsen”
13. NEW – A message from 1st U.S. Congressional District Representative Suzan DelBene
“Strengthening the Child Tax Credit
Dear Friend, Every child deserves a fair shot at success. Today, too many parents are facing difficult realities as they try to raise a family. Stagnating wages, higher housing costs, and student loan debt are making it harder for parents to give their children the opportunities they need to succeed. In Washington state, approximately 226,000 children live below the poverty line.
That’s why I, along with Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT) and Senators Michael Bennet (D-CO) and Sherrod Brown (D-OH) introduced the American Family Act, which would strengthen the Child Tax Credit and help working families. The bill would make the Child Tax Credit fully refundable and help eliminate extreme poverty in the U.S. It would also create a new Young Child Tax Credit for children under 6 and expand the maximum benefits to $3,000 annually (up from $2,000).
Growing up in a family that struggled to make ends meet, I know the impact a lack of resources can have on young peoples’ success. Expanding the Child Tax Credit to reach some of America’s most vulnerable families gives parents a greater opportunity to invest in their children’s future. To read more about the American Family Act and how it will make a significant impact to lower child poverty click here.
As always, I am here to help you. If you need assistance, please do not hesitate to contact my Bothell office at (425) 485-0085. If you have questions or comments about the topics that matter most to you, I encourage you to contact me through my website. You may also stay up-to-date on what I’m doing by following me on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Sincerely, Suzan”
14. NEW – Looking for some Democrats swag?
The Democrats Store has lots to choose from – t-shirts, shopping bags, socks, stickers, pins, and even gift cards.
15. NEW – Links of the Week
The Link of the Week provides in-depth pieces the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.