1. NEW – Gala tickets are now available for purchase at the Skagit County Democrats Headquarters
$60 per ticket. To purchase tickets or to donate an item for the auction, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 360-336-1555 during office hours (Monday – Friday, Noon to 4:00pm). Also, you may purchase tickets online by going to the homepage and clicking on the ‘Donate‘ button. All proceeds benefit the work of the Skagit County Democrats.
2. Democratic Women on the Rocks, Monday, Mar 11, 4:00pm – 6:00pm, 13 Moons Restaurant, Swinomish Casino, 12885 Casino Drive, Anacortes
3. Fidalgo Democrats meet Tuesday, Mar 12, 7:00pm, Anacortes Public Library, 1220 10th Street, Anacortes
Jim Byron, author of Population and Pollution–a Global Warming Primer, and Rev. Vincent Lachina, Northwest Regional Chaplain for Planned Parenthood, will speak on “Stabilizing Population.” A moderated discussion will follow the speakers. Please invite friends, family, and colleagues. And please bring a non-perishable item for the food bank donation box. For more information call Corinne Salcedo, chair, at 360-293-7114.
4. The next Quarterly General Meeting of the 10th Legislative District Democrats is scheduled for Saturday, Mar 16, 10:00am, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
5. NEW – 39th Legislative District Town Hall with Senator Keith Wagoner, R-Sedro-Woolley and Representative Robert J. Sutherland, R-Granite Falls, Mar 16, 2:00pm -3:30pm, Concrete High School Commons, 7830 South Superior Avenue, Concrete
Democrats are encouraged to attend to lend our voice and express our concerns to these legislators.
6. 40th Legislative District Democrats Legislative Field Trip, Tuesday, Mar 19, 8:00am – 7:00pm, Washington State Capitol Building, Olympia
Wanna give your elected officials a piece of your mind? Join us for our annual 40th District Democrats Legislative Field Trip! We will carpool, caravan or rent a van if necessary and schedule a fun day meeting with 40th legislators Representative Jeff Morris & Representative Debra Lekanoff and possibly our next 40th State Senator, Liz Lovelett. The day will also include breakouts times for those who want to visit with other legislators not on our list. 40th Dems will provide some snacks and water and end the day with an optional no-host dinner with Representative Jeff Morris in Olympia for those who want to stick around! Free for paid members, $15 for non-members. Please RSVP at email@example.com. Full itinerary to be announced. More information: 360-503-8925. Click Here to sign up.
7. NEW – 40th Legislative District Representative Jeff Morris and Senator Liz Lovelett will present a Town Hall, Saturday, Mar 23, 10:00am – Noon, Burlington Community Center, 1011 Greenleaf Avenue, Burlington
They will be focusing mostly on ferries and orcas and will take any questions, comments, or concerns you may have. Click Here for more information.
8. NEW – 40th Legislative District Representative Debra Lekanoff will present a Town Hall, Saturday, Mar 23, 9:30am – 10:30am, Fairhaven Middle School, 110 Parkridge Road, Bellingham
9. NEW – Precinct Committee Officer (PCO) training is scheduled for Sunday, Mar 24, 2:00pm – 6:00pm, Skagit Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, 500 West Section Street, Mount Vernon (behind the Post Office)
This training is for long-time PCOs as well as new PCOs. Alex Del Rosio, Northwest Field Organizer from Washington State Democrats will be presenting our PCO training. Please come to learn Best Practices, Vote Builder, and a chance to meet each other and establish relationships with each other. If you have a laptop please bring it with you. New PCOs, please contact Janet McKinney in order to recieve access to Vote Builder. You may also pick up a list of voters in your precinct, free of charge, at Skagit County Auditors Office. Please RSVP to: firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP. Food and drinks will be provided.
10. UPDATED – Everyone who loves grocery workers – Happy Hour, Thursday, Mar 28, 5:00pm to 7:00pm, UFCW (United Food and Commercial Workers) Office, 1510 North 18th Street, Mount Vernon (This event was originally scheduled for Feb 12 but postposed.)
We hope that you can join the workers from UFCW 21 and Teamsters 38 at the Community Kick-Off of the 2019 Grocery Campaign in one of the UFCW 21 offices. This is an historic campaign as grocery workers here in Washington have aligned their contract dates with grocery workers in Colorado and California – over 100,000 workers bargaining at the same time! It is a unique opportunity to understand the common challenges facing grocery workers and demand change.
11. NEW – National Women’s Political Caucus of Washington 2019 Women’s Candidate Training, Saturday, Mar 30, 8:00am – 6:00pm, Everett Community College, 2000 Tower Street, Everett
NWPC-WA Member: $40; Non-Member: $65. Includes breakfast, lunch & materials. Click Here for more information.
12. Call for 2019 Skagit Gala auction items
This year’s Skagit Democrat Gala is scheduled for Saturday, June 1. Your special gifts have made our Silent and Live Auctions sparkle! And the proceeds of sale on your donations have gone directly to the central work of the Skagit Democratic Party–electing Democrats to office! Would you consider helping once again with a donation? If you have questions about donations for the silent auction, please contact Diane McKern at email@example.com. If you have questions about donations for the live auction, please contact John Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any other questions concerning donations, please call the Democratic Headquarters at 360-336-1555. Items may be delivered to the Skagit County Democratic Headquarters, Monday – Friday, Noon to 4 p.m., or by arrangement with Shirley Viscalla at email@example.com. They would prefer that donations be delivered to Headquarters beginning the week of May 20 and no later than May 29. Thank you again for your loyalty and continued support.
13. NEW – A Note from Tina Podlodowski, Chair Washington State Democrats
“Dear Democrats, The 30 day public comment period has begun on the decision/choice to utilize either a caucus or a primary for Presidential delegate allocation (folks who wish to become national delegates to the national convention will still need to go thru a caucus process.)
The public comment site is at the link below – please share far and wide across the state – with your lists, LPOs, family, friends, on FB and Twitter, and so on. The more input, the better! https://www.waelectioncenter.com The State Committee will vote to decide which path the Party takes at our April 7th meeting in Pasco.
The legislation that enables us to even consider use of a primary has passed both the State Senate and the State House and is awaiting the Governor’s signature (that should happen in the next day or two). I’ve also attached copies of the different plans for everyone (download primary hybrid plan; download caucus plan) Obviously, they are also on the site. Thanks so much! With gratitude, Tina”
14. NEW – A message from 2nd Congressional District Representative Rick Larsen about the Congressional Art Competition
“Are you a creative high school student in Washington’s Second Congressional District or do you know someone who is? Showcase your artwork in this year’s Congressional Art Competition! The winning artist will have their piece displayed in the U.S. Capitol for one year and will receive two airline tickets to Washington, D.C. for the Congressional Institute’s Art Competition Reception in June.
The deadline to submit a piece of art to my office is April 26, 2019, at 4:00 p.m. For a full list of guidelines, please visit my website here. Last year, Ana Anderson of Friday Harbor won with her piece “Close your Eyes and Fly Away.” I was delighted to honor Ana at the Congressional Institute’s Art Competition Reception in D.C.
Art can be mailed or delivered to:
Rep. Rick Larsen
Re: Art Competition
Wall Street Building
2930 Wetmore Avenue, Suite 9F
Everett, WA 98201
Rep. Rick Larsen
Re: Art Competition
119 North Commercial Street, Suite 275
Bellingham, WA 98225
If you would like to drop art off at the Bellingham office, please call 425-252-3188 to make an appointment. If you are not sure if you are a constituent of the Second Congressional District, please check here. If you have any questions or would like more information about the Congressional Art Competition, please visit my website or call my district office at 425-252-3188. I look forward to seeing the submissions this year and highlighting the talented students of Washington’s Second District. Sincerely, Rick Larsen”
15. NEW – Links of the Week
The Link of the Week provides in-depth pieces the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.