1. UPDATED – Labor-Dem Work Group Meeting, is scheduled for Monday, Feb 25, 5:30pm, USW Hall, 47 Alder Lane, Mount Vernon
We will discuss our plans for the year and how to support the Skagit Nurses and Grocery Workers as well as a discussion about bills for the Farm Workers/H-2A and Fire Fighters.
2. UPDATED – Meeting with Congresswoman DelBene’s Aides, Monday, Feb 25, 10:00am – 11:30am, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
Join us in meeting with Congresswoman Susan DelBene’s aides Kaylee Galloway, Community Liaison, and Benjamin Studley, lead on gun safety. Moms Demand Action Skagit, Indivisible Skagit, Coffee and Cards as well as Safe and Sane Skagit will be there.
Congresswoman DelBene is a co-sponsor of H.R. 569 – to protect victims of stalking from gun violence. She is one of 107 co-sponsors, 4 of which are Republicans, with 3 from our state: DelBene, Jayapal, and Smith. She is also a co-sponsor of H.R. 8, Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019 – to require a background check for every firearm sale. She is one of 225 co-sponsors, 5 of which are Republicans, with 6 from our state: Smith, Schrier, Larsen, Kilmer, Heck, and Jayapal.
Regular card writing for Coffee ‘n Cards will resume on Tuesday, Feb 26, 10:00 – noon.
3. Essay Contest – The first meeting has been scheduled for Tuesday, Feb 26, 3:00pm at the Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
Now that the election and the holidays are over we need to get cracking on the essay contest for this year. Anyone interested in participating on the Essay Committee, please contact Pat Edwards at email@example.com.
4. NEW – The 10th Legislative District Democrats Executive Board meets Saturday, Mar 2, 10:00am – 12:00pm, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
5. NEW – The 40th Legislative District Democrats Executive Board meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, Mar 6, 5:30pm, Whatcom Democrats’ Office, 215 West Holly Street, Suite B-27, Bellingham
6. NEW – The next meeting of the Gala Team is Thursday, Mar 7, 1:00pm, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
7. UPDATED – The next General Membership Meeting of the 40th Legislative District Democrats will be Sunday, Mar 10, 2:30pm – 4:30pm, San Juan Lanes Bar and Grill, 2821 Commercial Avenue, Anacortes
RSVP here. Our new Senator, Liz Lovelett, will attend our meeting and give a legislative report.
8. NEW – The next Quarterly General Meeting of the 10th Legislative Democrats is scheduled for Saturday, Mar 16, 10:00am, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
9. NEW – 40th Democrats Legislative Field Trip, Tuesday, Mar 19, 8:00am – 7:00pm, Washington State Capitol Building, Olympia
Wanna give your elected officials a piece of your mind? Join us for our annual 40th District Democrats Legislative Field Trip! We will carpool, caravan or rent a van if necessary and schedule a fun day meeting with 40th legislators Rep. Jeff Morris & Rep. Debra Lekanoff and possibly our next 40th State Senator. The day will also include breakout times for those who want to visit with other legislators not on our list. 40th Dems will provide some snacks and water and end the day with an optional no-host dinner with Rep. Jeff Morris in Olympia for those who want to stick around! Free for paid members, $15 for non-members. Please RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org. Full itinerary to be announced. More information: 360-503-8925. Click Here to sign up.
10. Call for 2019 Gala auction items
This year our annual Gala is scheduled for Saturday, Jun 1. Your special gifts have made our Silent and Live Auctions sparkle! And the proceeds of sale on your donations have gone directly to the central work of the Skagit Democratic Party – electing Democrats to office! Would you consider helping once again with a donation? If you have questions about donations for the silent auction, please contact Diane McKern at email@example.com. If you have questions about donations for the live auction, please contact John Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any other questions concerning donations, please call the Democratic Headquarters at 360-336-1555. Items may be delivered to the Skagit County Democratic Headquarters, Monday – Friday, 12:00pm to 4:00pm, or by arrangement with Shirley Viscalla at email@example.com. We would prefer that donations be delivered to Headquarters beginning the week of May 20th and no later than May 29th. Thank you again for your loyalty and continued support.
11. NEW – A message from 1st Congressional District Representative Suzan DelBene
Remembering the Oso Landslide, and Working to Prevent Another Tragedy
The devastating Oso landslide that took the lives of 43 people was one of the most heartbreaking moments of my time representing you in Congress. In the face of such tragedy we saw so many come together to help, including first responders from near and far, and all the members of our community who did everything possible to assist and comfort others. It has been a top priority of mine to do whatever I can to support the surrounding communities and prevent future tragedies.
This week, I reintroduced the National Landslides Preparedness Act, which will allocate technological resources to help us better prepare for landslides. My bill would help protect communities and property, save lives and improve emergency preparedness and planning. This includes implementing a 3D Elevation program that would update and collect high-resolution elevation data. Currently, cities across the country are relying on fragmented, out-of-date information.
With more accurate data, cities would have a view of communities’ landslide risks and could utilize this information when creating emergency response plans. It’s crucial that we utilize technology to prevent families from experiencing the devastation and loss. This is an example of how smart investments now can save our communities from exponentially greater costs in the future. I will keep you updated on the progress of this important legislation.
As always, I am here to help you. If you have questions or comments about the topics that matter most to you, I encourage you to contact me through my website. You may also keep up-to-date on what I’m doing by following me on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Sincerely, Suzan
12. NEW – Links of the Week
The Link of the Week provides in-depth pieces the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.