1. NEW – The Skagit County Democrats conducted our Re-organization Meeting Dec 8 and elected a new slate of officers
- Chair – Jeff Mount
- Vice Chair – Lynn Campbell
- State Committee Woman – Rocio Lopez
- State Committee Man – Jeremy Harrison-Smith
- Legislative District Representatives
- 10th – Tammy Oommen
- 39th – Claus Joens
- 40th – Janet McKinney
- Commissioner District Representatives
- 1st – Velit Seyfettin
- 2nd – Susan McCloud
- 3rd – John Smith
In addition, the following officers were appointed by the Chair: Treasurer – Cindy Lane; Secretary – Diane McKern.
We welcome our new officers and deeply appreciate our outgoing officers and all the hard work and leadership they have provided.
2. Democratic Women on the Rocks, Monday, Dec 10, 4:00pm – 6:00pm, 13 Moons Restaurant, Swinomish Casino, 12885 Casino Drive, Anacortes
3. Fidalgo Democrats meet Tuesday, Dec. 11th, 7:00 pm at the Anacortes Public Library, 1220 10th Street, Anacortes
“Understanding Mass Incarceration” will be the topic. Presenters are Irene Morgan, founder of the Restorative Community Coalition; Joy Gilfilen, past president of the coalition; and Rev. Chris Hoke of the Underground Ministries. All are working for restorative justice. A moderated question and comment period will follow the speakers. Plan to come at 6:30pm if you wish to see a slide show of the “Nobody Is Above the Law” rally that was held Nov 8 at 12th & Commercial Avenues, Anacortes. Please bring a non-perishable item for the food bank donation box. For more information call Corinne Salcedo, Chair, at 360-293-7114.
4. NEW – A fund raising reception with Governor Jay Inslee is scheduled for Tuesday, Dec 11, 5:30pm – 7:00pm, at the home of Bob Hall, 115 South Forest Street, Bellingham
“I hope you’re able to join us to recap the midterms and discuss the Governor’s priorities for the upcoming legislative session . . . RSVP online here: www.jayinslee.com/bellingham or email Jim at email@example.com or 206.328.2969. If you would like to contribute in lieu of attending, you can do so at https://action.jayinslee.com/page/contribute/gov-inslee.” Suggested donations are: $100 Guest; $250 Friend; $500 Sponsor; $1,000 Co-Host.
5. – Washington State Democratic Party Wrap-up and Thank You Rececption, Tuesday, Dec 11, 6:30pm, The Riveter, 1517 12th Avenue, Suite 101, Seattle
Click Here to RSVP and register.
6. NEW – The Skagit Democrats Headquarters will be closed from Monday, Dec 24 through Tuesday, Jan 1, 2019
Phone messages and emails will be monitored. If you need access and do not have a key, leave a message at 360-336-1555 and someone will get back to you.
7. UPDATED – The 10th Legislative District Democrats will conduct their Reorganization meeting Saturday, Dec 15, 2:00pm, Flyer’s Restaurant and Brewhouse, 15426 Suite B, Airport Drive, Burlington (Please note 2:00pm starting time.)
“We will be electing a new Executive Board and reviewing election results. All newly elected PCOs should attend. We will have By-Laws changes to deal with and, of course, the regular election of officers for the next two years. Only newly elected PCOs will be able to vote for the new officers, but all are welcome to participate in all other activities of the organization . . . Our By-Laws do not limit our officers to being only PCOs. Only PCOs get to vote on them, but the officers can be any Democrat in the Tenth District.”
8. The 39th Legislative Democrats Reorganization Meeting is scheduled for Saturday, Jan 5, 10:00am – 1:00pm, Stillaguamish Room Arlington City Sewer Department, 154 West Cox Street, Arlington
9. NEW – The 40th Legislative District Democrats Re-organization Meeting is Sunday, Jan 13, 1:00pm to 3:00pm, Farmhouse Restaurant, 13724 La Conner Whitney Road, Mount Vernon
Please consider running for any of the Executive Board positions. All are welcome – we especially welcome diversity! This includes race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, social class, physical ability or attributes, religious or ethical values system, and national origin.
10. NEW – A message from 1st Congressional District Representative Suzan DelBene – Serving Our Veterans
“Washington’s First District is home to more than 40,000 veterans. Given all they have done for us, we must ensure that our local veterans receive the best health care and benefits.
My office works with veterans to help communicate with and navigate through our federal system. During my time in office, we have helped more than 192 veterans gain access to quality health care and helped retrieve $1 million in back pay. I recently advocated on behalf of Bill, a terminally ill Air Force veteran whose appeal was being delayed. Bill was awarded over $200,000 in back pay for his stage IV cancer resulting from Agent Orange exposure. It also sparked systematic action, producing a nationwide review of all terminally ill veteran records.
If you need assistance, please do not hesitate to contact my Bothell office at (425) 485-0085. Although I cannot guarantee a particular outcome, we are always ready to listen to your concerns and work to find a solution. Here are some actions we routinely take to assist veterans:
Veterans Health Administration
- Assistance with scheduling an appointment
- Assistance with getting authorization to use the Choice Program
- Clarifying notices from the VHA
- Connecting veterans with a patient advocate
- Helping with the authorization of emergency treatment outside the VHA
Veterans Benefits Administration
- Connecting veterans to a local Veterans Service Officer
- Clarifying notices from the VBA
- Walking veterans through the appeals process for denied claims
- Cutting red tape to get long overdue appeals processed
- Helping veterans access their military records or a DD214
- Assisting veterans navigate the VA home loan program
- Helping manage debt that the VA should rightfully be paying
Department of Defense
- Assisting veterans appeal a DFAS decision
- Clarifying notices from DFAS
As always, I am here to help you. If you have questions or comments about the topics that matter most to you, I encourage you to contact me through my website. You may also keep up-to-date on what I’m doing by following me on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
11. NEW – Links of the Week
The Link of the Week provides in-depth pieces the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.