1. NEW – Monday, Oct 8, is the final deadline to register online or by mail so that you can vote and have your voice heard this election. Click Here to check your registration status and make sure your address is updated right now!
2. Join the Skagit County Democrats’ Phone Banking to Help Elect Local Candidates
Phone Banking is on Mondays, 6:30pm to 8:00pm at the Skagit County Democrats Headquarters on the following dates: Oct 8, Oct 15, Oct 22, Oct 29, and Nov 5. All PCO’s and volunteers are needed to call. Please contact Lynn Campbell at (H): 360-428-6785 or (C): 360-708-7044.
3. Democratic Women on the Rocks, Monday, Oct 8, 4:00pm – 6:00pm, 13 Moons Restaurant, Swinomish Casino, 12885 Casino Drive, Anacortes
4. Fidalgo Democrats meet Tuesday, Oct 9, 7:00pm at Anacortes Public Library, 1220 10th Street, Anacortes
Local human rights activist Andrea Doll will speak on “Repression of Human Rights in Guatemala,” discussing both her recent fourth trip to Guatemala and conditions there. A moderated period of questions and comments will follow the speaker. Please bring friends, family, or colleagues. Help yourself to coffee and Rita Sullivan’s homemade cookies. Please bring a non-perishable item for the food bank donation box. For more information call Corinne Salcedo at 360-293-7114.
5. A fundraiser for Dave Paul, candidate for 10th Legislative District Representative, Position 2, is scheduled for Wednesday, October 10, 5:00pm – 6:30pm, 203 South 5th Street, Mount Vernon (the home of Jere LaFollette and Wende Sanderson)
Click Here for more information.
6. NEW – The Skagit County Democrats Executive Board meets Saturday, Oct 13, 10:00am, Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
One of the principal topics for this meeting is the appointment of a nominating committee to consider volunteers for our December reorganization.
7. Young Democrats of Skagit County’s next meeting is Saturday, Oct 13, 1:00pm – 3:00pm at the Skagit County Democrats headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
8. NEW – Please join the Skagit Democrats for a “Meet and Greet” for Debra Lekanoff, candidate for 40th Legislative District Representative, Position 1 , Saturday, Oct 13, 3:00pm (after the Young Democrats meeting) at the Skagit County Democrats headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
Here’s your chance to ask Debra the tough questions and share her campaign experiences. This is the first chance we’ve had to discuss issues with her face to face – let’s take advantage of it. You’ll be in the area after the regular monthly meetings of the eboard and Young Democrats, so you can stick around and make it a completely political day, plus support our 40th District candidate. Don’t miss this opportunity!
9. NEW – A fundraiser for Debra Lekanoff, candidate for 40th Legislative District Representative, Position 1, is scheduled for Tuesday, Oct 16, 5:30pm – 7:00pm at the home of Mo West, 718 Highlands Drive, Bellingham
Click Here for more information.
10. NEW – The next Gala Team meeting is scheduled for Thursday, Oct 25, 1:00pm at Skagit Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
11. Mark your calendars – Our bi-annual Reorganization is scheduled to take place on Saturday, Dec 8, 10:00am at our Skagit County Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
“The Central Committee will elect replacements for all of our officers, appoint committee members and chairs, and generally set ourselves on course for the presidential election process in 2020. That’s the year when we want to elect a replacement for the current embarrassment, as well as a Democratic congress. We need the best talent we can attract to serve in all our leadership positions. So please give serious thought to the position in which you’d like to serve and help lead us to success in 2019-2020.
While anyone may attend the reorganization meeting, only elected PCO’s may vote. PCO’s who were elected in the August primary will take office on Dec 1 of this year and thus may vote at the reorganization. I hope to see all PCO’s at our December meeting. Have a great Democratic day! Bob Doll”
12. Upcoming 2018 Election milepost dates
- State Voters’ Pamphlets are mailed: Oct 6 – 13
- Last Day to register to vote or update voter registration online or by mail: Oct 8
- Last Day for online & mail-in voter registration: Oct 8
- Ballots Mailed and Available: Oct 17
- Start of 18-day voting period (through Election Day): Oct 19
- Last Day for In-person New Voter Registration at Auditor’s Office (not previously registered): Oct 29
- General Election: Nov 6 – Drop boxes close promptly at 8:00pm
- Deadline for Secretary of State to certify General Election results: Dec 6
Accessible Voting Units (AVUs) are available in the Skagit County Auditor’s Office. Click Here for more information. Click Here to view a version of the Voter’s Guide.
13. The Skagit County Democrats have endorsed Skagit County Proposition 1 (election of Freeholders to propose a charter form of county government) in favor of passage. In addition, the Skagit County Democrats have endorsed the following slate of Freeholder candidates:
- Commission District 1
- Position 1 – Liz Lovelett
- Position 2 – Margery Hite
- Position 3 – Keith Rubin
- Position 4 – John Doyle
- Position 5 – Lona Wilbur
- Position 6 – Celia Ponce Sanchez
- Position 7 – Ryan Walters
- Commissioner District 2
- Position 1 – Brita Eschete
- Position 2 – Dale Ragan
- Position 3 – Tammy Lanphere Oommen
- Position 4 – Joe Bowen
- Position 5 – Ellen Gray
- Position 6 – Ken Winkes
- Position 7 – Mary Hudson
- Commissioner District 3
- Position 1 – Gary Wickman
- Position 2 – Miguel Angel Gaitan
- Position 3 – Jeremy Harrison-Smith
- Position 4 – Sharon Dillon
- Position 5 – Steve Garey
- Position 6 – No recommendation
- Position 7 – Bill Pfeifer
14. NEW – Sign up for the Congressional App Challenge! – A message from Suzan DelBene
“Before becoming a Member of Congress, technology shaped my career. That’s why I’m thrilled to be the Co-Chair of the 2018 Congressional App Challenge. This national competition enables middle and high school students in each congressional district to use their coding skills to cultivate an entrepreneurial spirit.
Students can sign up for the Congressional App Challenge as individuals or in groups of up to four. The winners are publicly recognized and invited to Washington, D.C. to show their app at the #HouseofCode reception in the Spring. Interested students can click here to register.
I am also excited to host my annual Congressional App Challenge “Appathon” on October 13th and 14th at UW Bothell. This event will give students a jumpstart in creating their apps and an opportunity to collaborate in a team environment while working with industry professionals. At the end of the challenge, students will get the chance to pitch their ideas to judges and win prizes! Interested students can sign up for the “Appathon” here.
As always, my office is here to serve you. If you have questions or comments about the topics that matter most to you, I encourage you to contact me through my website. You may also keep up-to-date on what I’m doing by following me on social media or signing up for my eNewsletter. If you need assistance in dealing with a federal agency, such as the VA, IRS or Department of Education, please do not hesitate to contact my Bothell office at 425-485-0085. Sincerely, Suzan”
15. NEW – Links of the Week
The Link of the Week provides in-depth pieces the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.