1. Indivisible Skagit will be showing the documentary film “Hunger Strikes: A Call to End Immigrant Detention”, Monday, Jun 11, 5:30pm to 7:30pm at the Burlington Public Library, 820 Washington Avenue, Burlington
Every day families in Washington are torn apart when a family member is sent to the Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma. What happens to them there? What happens to their families here? Find out at this free screening of this documentary film hosted by locally-based, and nationally-known advocate for detainees, Maru Mora Villalpando of Northwest Detention Center Resistance. For more information email: info@IndivisibleSkagit.org.2. NEW – The Democrat Women on the Rocks will be meeting up at the 13 Moons Restaurant, Swinomish Casino & Lodge, Monday Jun 11th from 4:00pm to 6:00pm
3. Fidalgo Democrats meet Tuesday, Jun 12, 7:00pm at the Anacortes Public Library, 1220 10th Street, Anacortes
“Homelessness Affects Us All” will be the topic. Anacortes City Councilwoman Liz Lovelett, Joan Penny of the Coalition For the Homeless, and Jodi Monroe, executive director for Home Trust of Skagit, will speak. A moderated discussion will follow. Please bring a non-perishable item for the food bank donation box. For more information call Corinne Salcedo at 360-293-7114.
4. The 2018 Washington State Democratic Convention is scheduled for Friday, & Saturday, Jun 15 & 16, Wenatchee Convention Center, 121 North Wenatchee Avenue, Wenatchee
Click Here to register to attend. Click Here for the Convention Rules.
5. Meet & Greet with Judge Laura Riqueleme, Tuesday, Jun 19, 5:30pm – 7:00pm, 15222 Deception Road, Anacortes
Judge Laura has spent her entire legal career here in Skagit County and is actively involved in the community. She is currently running to maintain her seat in the Skagit superior court and would appreciate the opportunity to continue working for you. Come learn more about Judge Laura and this year’s campaign while enjoying great company and appetizers. The event will take place at the home of Shay Schual-Berke. For questions email Laurel at firstname.lastname@example.org or Shay at email@example.com. For more information visit http://keepjudgelaura.com/.
6. The June meeting of the 10th Legislative District Democrats will be a General Membership Meeting on Saturday, Jun 23, 10:00am the Flyers Restaurant at the Skagit Regional Airport, 15426 Suite B Airport Drive, Burlington
Meeting, then lunch! The goal is to have as many candidates as possible at this meeting so each can make a pitch to the assembled membership and we can maybe even ask them a few questions. Shouldn’t be much of a business meeting so we can concentrate on candidates and elections.
7. The June meeting of the 39th Legislative District Democrats will be an Executive Board and General Membership Meeting on Saturday, Jun 23, 10:00am – 1:00pm at the Skagit Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
Conference call information for this meeting (for those who wish to connect remotely) is as follows:
- Participant dials: 712-432-6100
- Participant will hear a brief “sales pitch” and then be told to enter the Participant PIN
- Participant should then enter: 10151069 followed by the # sign
- Participant will then be prompted to enter “1” to confirm
- Participant will then be connected to the conference call
8. NEW – Ivan Lewis, candidate for 39th Legislative District Representative, Position 1, is hosting a Meet-the-Candidate No-Host Lunch, Sunday Jun 24th, 12:00pm, Mirkwood Public House, 117 Division Street, Arlington
9. NEW – Jeff Morris’s Campaign Kickoff is scheduled for Monday, Jun 25, 5:30pm to 7:00pm, Taylor Seafoods, 2182 Chuckanut Drive, Bow
The 40th Democrat Candidates, Tom Pasma, Alex Ramel, Rud Browne, and Debra Lekanoff, were invited to speak. House of Representatives Speaker, Frank Chopp, is attending. There will be other candidates from neighboring districts speaking as well. “I hope you can join us.”- 40th LD Representative Jeff Morris
10. NEW – The Labor-Dem Work Group will meet Tuesday, June 26, 5:30pm, United Steel Workers Hall, 47 Alder Lane, Mount Vernon
We will be discussing the Labor Tent at the Skagit County Fair, EMS Campaign, Farm Worker Actions, and an Education Forum.
11. There will be actions taken for the H2A Farm Workers at Sarbanand in Sumas this summer
NO MORE FARMWORKER DEATHS! Please Stop Eating Naturipe Berries, the label which Sarbanand and Munger use to sell produce!
12. NEW – Link of the Week
The Link of the Week provides an in-depth piece the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.
Suicide rates rise sharply across the United States, new report shows