1. NEW – The final meeting of the Gala Team is set for Monday, May 21, 2:00pm at the Skagit Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon2. NEW – Indivisible Fidalgo Meeting, Monday, May 21, 6:30pm – 8:30pm, Village Pizza, 807 Commercial Ave, Anacortes
Home Rule Skagit: Chartering a Course for the Future – A non-partisan presentation about how to improve county government for all. Presenters are Margery Hite and Brenda Cunningham. Q & A to follow this presentation along with a progress report and volunteer opportunities for the 2018 election.
3. Gala Auction Updates
All live auction items and\or paperwork must be into the Headquarters by the end of Wednesday, May 23rd. This is a change in timing from past years.
If you have a silent auction item and we hope you do, they are being accepted now at Headquarters. All paperwork must be complete in order for the item to be in the auction. Delivery of silent auction items goes until Wednesday, May 30. Paperwork is available at the Headquarters. This year we have a carbon form, good news for those that have had to deal with the retired form. There are still some open slots for volunteering the day of the auction. For more information, check with Shirley via staff email or Headquarters phone – 360-336-1555.
4. NEW – Indivisible Skagit General Meeting, Thursday, May 24, 5:00pm to 6:30pm, Burlington Library, 820 East Washington Avenue, Burlington
November Elections are just around the corner. What is Important to you in a candidate? What do you want to know before you vote? Bring your ideas for the endorsement process to this Indivisible Skagit Meeting
5. NEW – Join in for a “Make-Over at Macy’s”, Wednesday, May 30, Noon-1:00pm, Bellis Fair Macy’s, 50 Bellis Fair Parkway, Bellingham
Wouldn’t it be fun to . . .
- Make-Over Macy’s while also giving ourselves a little TLC?
- Put management on notice that Macy’s workers deserve a good contract-while also getting up to speed on seasonal color trends?
- Stand with UFCW 21 Macy’s make-up artists and skin experts, by sitting down and allowing them to work their magic on us?
Please RSVP so we can let our members know how many shining faces to expect. You will be able to choose what advice/service would be most interesting-or none at all if you want to join as a supporter or advisors! Also if you have a co-worker or friend who you think might want to join-just let me know. All Macy’s workers appreciate the solidarity as they negotiate in the face of the Amazon-ization of retail that is decimating jobs in the industry, largely impacting women and people of color. Please say yes to yourself! – Kristen, Community Organizer, firstname.lastname@example.org, 206-436-6595, http://www.ufcw21.org.
6. Our annual Gala is Saturday, Jun 2 at the Swinomish Lodge -, 12885 Casino Drive, Anacortes – Just a week from this coming Saturday!
- Doors Open and Silent Auction begins at 4:00pm
- Candidate Meet and Greet from 4:30pm – 5:30pm
- Dinner and Live Auction begin at 6:30pm
- If you have an auction item to donate, please call Headquarters (360 336 1555) or email email@example.com
Tickets are $60 – Available at Headquarters or by phone (360-336-1555) during Headquarters open hours. (We may be sold out, but call to see if there are any cancellations or open seats.)
7. NEW – 40th Legislative District Democrats Endorsement Meeting, Saturday, Jun 2, 1:00pm to 3:00pm, Anacortes Library, 1220 10th St, Anacortes
Deadline to become a 40th member and vote on endorsements June 2 has passed. 40th LD Website: http://40thdems.org/index.html
8. Skagit Democrats Endorsement Meeting, Saturday, Jun 9, 9:00am – Noon, Skagit Public Utility District Aqua Room, 1415 Freeway Drive, Mount Vernon
All Skagit County Democrats are welcome to attend, but only paid members may vote. Voting will be by written ballot. Beverages and snacks will be available. Lunch will not be provided; we expect to finish work about noon.
Just a reminder that according to our endorsement policy people must be paid members 14 days before June 9, our endorsement meeting. Deadline is midnight May 26. From our bylaws: “(d) Eligibility to vote and quorum requirements are prescribed in the bylaws, except that voters must be eligible fourteen (14) days prior to an endorsement vote.”
9. Lavone Newell Reim and Dick Reim are hosting a fundraiser for Maria Cantwell, Saturday, Jun 9, 11:00am – 1:00pm at their home at 18598 Skagit City Road, Mount Vernon
10. Homerule Charter for Skagit County Presentation, Saturday, Jun 9, after the Skagit Democrats Endorsement Meeting, around Noon, Skagit Public Utility District, 1415 Freeway Drive, Mount Vernon
The following questions will be answered:
- What is a Homerule Charter and why is it right for Skagit County?
- What is Skagit County’s current system?
- What is the Homerule Charter process?
- What changes with a charter?
- Why change the form of Skagit County government?
- What would a Skagit County charter look like?
For more information, go to http://www.homeruleskagit.org/index.html
11. NEW – There will be actions taken for the H2A Farm Workers at Sarbanand in Sumas this summer.
NO MORE FARMWORKER DEATHS! Please Stop Eating Naturipe Berries, this is the label that Sarbanand and Munger use to sell produce!
12. A reminder, the Skagit Democrats Headquarters collects food donations for the Food Bank. Please remember to bring a non-perishable foodstuff to drop in the box whenever you visit Headquarters!
13. NEW – Link of the Week
The Link of the Week provides an in-depth piece the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.