1. Candidate Filing Week is HERE- May 14 – May 18
PCO candidates can file during this period (but not earlier) on-line at the Skagit County Audtior’s website.There is no registration fee for Precint Committee Officer (PCO) positions. All PCO positions are considered open and all PCO candidates must file, regardless of whether or not you have held the position previously. Click Here for information on being a PCO.Other positions must also file this week. The Skagit County Candidate Guide is available here. You can check which positions are open for election at https://www.filepalooza.com/.
2. NEW – The next Gala Team Meeting is scheduled for Monday, May 14, 2:00pm at the Skagit Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
3. NEW – Gala Auction Updates
All live auction items and\or paperwork must be into the HQ by the end May 23rd. This is a change in timing from past years.
If you have a silent auction item, and we hope you do, they are being accepted now at HQ. All paperwork must be complete in order for the item to be in the auction. Delivery of silent auction items goes until May 30th. Paperwork is available at the HQ. This year we have a carbon form, good news for those that have had to deal with the retired form.
We expect some tickets to become available early this week,so it is not too late to attend. Call Headquarters to check or send us an email – firstname.lastname@example.org. There are still some open slots for volunteering the day of the auction. For more information, check with Shirley via staff email or Headquarters phone – 360-336-1555.
4. NEW – Skagit Dem Women on the Rocks meets May 14th from 4:00pm – 6:00pm at the 13 Moons Lounge, Swinomish Casino and Lodge, 12885 Casino Drive, Anacortes
This is an informal no host meet up and occurs regularily on the 2nd Monday of each month. We meet in the upstairs lounge, enjoy each others’ company, dine off of the bar menu and order a drink of choice. Hope to see you there. For questions, email email@example.com or call 360-336-1555.
5. Laura Riquelme, candidate for Superior Court Judge, Department 2, in Skagit County will kick off her retention campaign on Monday, May 14, at 5:30pm – 7:00pm, with a reception at Max Dale’s Restaurant, 2030 Riverside Drive in Mount Vernon.
Come and meet Judge Laura, enjoy appetizers and beverages, and mix with fellow Democrats!
6. NEW – The 39th Legislative District Democrats will conduct an Early Endorsements meeting Wednesday, May 16, 6:30pm – 7:30pm at the Marysville Library, 6120 Grove Street, Marysville
We will have a limited docket of candidates for consideration for early endorsement. (Those who have requested it and incumbents with a voting record.) We will also have a conference bridge that you can call into to participate in the meeting should you choose to. Again, this is for consideration of early endorsements only. We will have another round or two of endorsements after Filing Week has concluded and the races start heating up.
7. Tom Pasma, candidate for 40th Legislative District Representative Position 1 (Kristine Lytton’s position) has his Skagit County Kick-Off Party, Thursday, May 17, 5:30pm – 7:30pm, Empire Alehouse, 314 West Gates Street, Mount Vernon
For more information about Tom’s candidacy and campaign or to make a donation, please visit: www.TomPasma.org or email Tom at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 360-708-0325
Tom has lived in the region for almost 30 years and has supported our community as a volunteer firefighter, Vice President of Blanchard Edison Water Association, and as an auctioneer for countless nonprofits like 4-H, FFA, Boys & Girls Club, Campfire, Skagit Valley College, Democrat organizations, and so many more. Tom has always been there to help us reach our goals in our community and now he is asking for our support to reach our goals in Olympia.
We Need a New Deal in Washington – “The cost of housing, education, health care, and basic necessities keep going up and families are stretched thin. Students are graduating with unsustainable debt and are finding it difficult to find good paying jobs. Our residents deserve better. I believe it’s time for a new deal in Washington that puts working people first.”
8. The 10 Legislative District Democrats Executive Board is scheduled to meet Saturday, May 19, 10:00am at the Skagit Democrats Headquarters, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
9. Our annual Gala is set for Saturday, Jun 2 at the Swinomish Lodge -, 12885 Casino Drive, Anacortes – Less than a month away!
- Doors Open and Silent Auction begins at 4:00pm
- Candidate Meet and Greet from 4:30pm – 5:30pm
- Dinner and Live Auction begin at 6:30pm
- If you have an auction item to donate, please call Headquarters (360 336 1555) or email email@example.com
Tickets are $60 – Available at Headquarters or by phone (360-336-1555) during Headquarters open hours. They can also be purchased on-line on the Skagit Democrats website. Click on the Donate button on the home page or Click Here. You can specify the transaction is for purchasing Gala tickets by completing the “Purpose” box in the “Cardholder Information” section. Also, please complete the employment information (even if Retired or Unemployed) in the “Shipping Information” for PDC purposes.
10. NEW – 40th Legislative District Democrats Endorsement Meeting, Saturday, Jun 2, 1:00pm to 3:00pm, Anacortes Library, 1220 10th St, Anacortes
Deadline to become a 40th member and vote on endorsements June 2 has passed. 40th LD Website: http://40thdems.org/index.html
11. UPDATED – Skagit Democrats Endorsement Meeting, Saturday, Jun 9, 9:00am – Noon, Skagit Public Utility District Aqua Room, 1415 Freeway Drive, Mount Vernon
All Skagit County Democrats are welcome to attend, but only paid members may vote. Voting will be by written ballot. Beverages and snacks will be available. Lunch will not be provided; we expect to finish work about noon.
Just a reminder that according to our endorsement policy people must be paid members 14 days before June 9, our endorsement meeting. Deadline is midnight May 26. “(d) Eligibility to vote and quorum requirements are prescribed in the bylaws, except that voters must be eligible fourteen (14) days prior to an endorsement vote.”
12. CORRECTED – Lavone Newell Reim and Dick Reim are hosting a fundraiser for Maria Cantwell, Saturday, Jun 9, 11:00am – 1:00pm at their home at 18598 Skagit City Road, Mount Vernon
13. NEW – Homerule Charter for Skagit County Presentation, Saturday, Jun 9, after the Skagit Democrats Endorsement Meeting, around Noon, Skagit Public Utility District, 1415 Freeway Drive, Mount Vernon
The following questions will be answered:
- What is a Homerule Charter and why is it right for Skagit County?
- What is Skagit County’s current system?
- What is the Homerule Charter process?
- What changes with a charter?
- Why change the form of Skagit County government?
- What would a Skagit County charter look like?
- For more information, go to http://www.homeruleskagit.org/index.html
14. NEW – A reminder, the Skagit Democrats Headquarters collects food donations for the Food Bank. Please remember to bring a non-perishable foodstuff to drop in the box whenever you visit Headquarters!
15. NEW – Jackie Brunson, candidate for Skagit County Treasurer, now has an on-line presence
Click Here for Jackie’s website. Click Here for her Facebook page.
16. NEW – Link of the Week
The Link of the Week provides an in-depth piece the Editor has found to be relevant, insightful, and thorough on important issues of the day.
Loyalty, unease in Trump’s Midwest, an extensive analysis of “Trump Triers” in the Midwest
Trump is no longer the worst person in government. George Will, the conservative’s conservative, on Mike Pence