1. 10th Legislative District Executive Board Meeting is scheduled for 10:00am, Saturday, Jul 23 at the Skagit Democrats Headquarters Office, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
2. 39th Legislative District Quarterly Meeting, Saturday, Jul 23, 10:00am – 1:00pm, Skagit Valley Food Co-op, The Co-op Building, 202 S 1st St, Mt Vernon
It is upstairs in the meeting rooms. The Agenda can be found Here. Everyone is invited. There will be no meeting in August because of the Evergreen State Fair.
3. NEW – Special PCO and GOTV Training: Tuesday Jul 19 at 1:00pm- 3:00pm at the New Coordinated Campaign Headquarters in Everett at 2817-A Rucker Ave, Everett
Contact Audrey (email@example.com) for more information. If you can’t make it in the daytime, the office is open and Audrey will be there to help Sunday – Thursday 5:00pm – 8:30pm for phone calling and the office is open from 11:00am – 9:00pm for other activities. Stop by and say Hello to Audrey.
4. NEW – PATTY MURRAY FUNDRAISER, Wednesday, Jul 20, 5:30pm – 7:00pm, The Home of Victoria Dahlgren, 429 Pleasant Bay Road, Bellingham
5. NEW -Reception for Congressman Rick Larsen, Jul 20, 6:00pm – 7:30pm, Taylor Shellfish Farms, 2182 Chuckanut Drive, Bow
Hosted by Bill Dewey, Bill Taylor, and Ted Mischaikov. Congressman Rick Larsen is serving his 8th term in the U.S. House of Representatives. Rick serves on the House Armed Services Committee and the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, and is the Ranking Member of the Aviation Subcommittee.
RSVP: Brennan Smith at Brennan@RickLarsen.org or Text/Call 425-404-9357
6. Fundraiser for Hilary Franz for Commissioner of Public Lands, Thursday, Jul 21st, 6:00pm – 7:30pm, Double S Quarter Horses, 15216 Colony Road, Bow
Suggested Donations: Individual $150, Supporter $250, Co-host $500, Sponsor $1,000
7. Skagit Democrats Headquarters needs some volunteers
- Summer is taking a toll on staff. There are some Wednesdays, all Thursdays and Fridays that need coverage. Please consider volunteering this summer, while long time staff is spending time with their families and helping other organizations. Campaigns and candidates are looking towards us for assistance as they work to turn the County, State and Federal offices “blue”. Call the Headquarters for information – 360-336-1555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mount Vernon Annual Sidewalk Sale – The downtown Mount Vernon Association is sponsoring their annual Sidewalk Sale July 29 and 30th. The hours are 10-5 each day (Friday/Saturday). With enough volunteers for the two days, Skagit Democrats could raise some more funds, be open and provide a space for campaigns to be visible in the community. If you would like to help with this event, please call HQ 360-336-1555 or send an email to email@example.com for more information. It can not happen without your help.
- Skagit County Fair – We will have a booth at the Skagit County Fair again this year next to the Labor booth. The Fair runs from August 10th through the 13th.We need volunteers to work 4 hour shifts: 10:00am–2:00pm, 2:00pm–6:00pm, and 6:00pm–10:00pm. We need 2 people per shift. Please call headquarters with your name, phone number and time-slot request. Tickets for gate entry will be purchased for volunteers.
8. Coordinated Campaign
The Coordinated Campaign for 2016 is now active in Skagit County. All of them need campaign volunteers for GOTV [Get out the Vote] in those areas. Please contact them if you want to volunteer. Or interested volunteers can also call Skagit Democrats Headquarters, 360-336-1555, and leave a message. Photos and biographies are posted on the Skagit Democrats website.
- John Gannon represents the 10th and 21st Legislative Districts – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aubrey Stewart represents the 39th and 44th Legislative Districts – email@example.com
- Julianna Fisher represents the 40th and 42nd Legislative Districts – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colin Cole oversees their work in the various Legislative Districts. – email@example.com
9. I-735 Island/Skagit Update/Action Meeting – Let’s Overturn Citizens United! Monday, Jul 18th – 6:00pm at Skagit Democrats Headquarters
Initiative 735 says:
1. Money is NOT speech.
2. Corporations are NOT people.
3. Political contributions must be regulated and made public.
After all our years of hard work – and our SUCCESS in getting I-735 on the ballot – we want to make sure it passes resoundingly this fall.
Here’s how you can help make that happen and what you’ll learn at the meeting:
Get an update on what WAmend has been doing behind the scenes.
- Find out which congressional members are supporting this initiative.
- Find out what the rest of the counties are doing to ensure passage.
- Decide on our goals, and what actions we will take to succeed. (Letters-to-the-editor writing campaign, outreach to supporting organizations, voter education, etc, etc.)
- Learn about the some other initiatives that will also be on November’s ballot.
This meeting is for anyone from Island and Skagit counties and beyond who wants to help I-735 get a huge thumbs-up at the ballot box. WAmend’s Tiffani McCoy (Field Director) and Matt Streib (Communications) will join us to help answer any questions that we might have. We are also inviting WAmend representatives from Whatcom, Snohomish, and San Juan counties to see what they’re up to…maybe we’ll want to coordinate our efforts. Please bring some food and drink to share. Besides helping us get geared-up for a successful outcome, the meeting will also give us a chance to enjoy each other’s company, like minded souls that we are. . . See you all on July 18th!!
Maggie Sullivan (Skagit – 360-724-3158) and
Jane Jaehning (Island – 360-279-1261)
10. UPDATED – Our Skagit Regional Hospital Workers Need Our Help To Get A Fair Contract!
Please sign onto to their community letter as an individual or organization and then share widely with friends, family and neighbors. It is a concrete way to demand better standards for healthcare workers in Skagit County. Use this link to sign on:
The community letter is working so continue to encourage people to sign on. And “Like” ‘ Keep Skagit Healthy‘ on Facebook to show additional support for their fight for basic rights on the job.
Janet McKinney, Labor-Democrat Work Group Coordinator
1. NEW – North Cascades Vintage Fly-In, Jul 22 – Jul 24, 7879 South Superior Avenue #6, Concrete Airport
The North Cascades Vintage Fly-In has grown into one of the premier fly-ins for vintage, classic and antique airplane enthusiasts. Nestled in the foothills of the North Cascade mountain range in Washington state, the fly-in draws numerous significant and interesting aircraft every year.
Contact Information: Phone: (360) 770-4848 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Listen to We Do the Work, Tuesdays, 6:30 pm, at KSVR, 91.7; KSVU, 90.1; or KSJU, 91.9 FM
A weekly local worker radio program that features news, interviews, music, and comments, “We Do the Work” believes American workers are at the heart of our economy and culture, deserving dignity, respect, and a decent family wage. To hear our other shows, go to We Do The Work Archives. Questions about interviews? Email email@example.com
NEW -We Do The Work’s program for Tuesday, Jul 19, 6:30pm, 91.7 FM, Alex Ramel, Field Director for Extreme Oil with Stand
Interview by Gary Kanter: Alex explains how ending the use of fossil fuels can be a ‘Just Transition.’ For more information, go to http://www.stand.earth/ or http://www.labor4sustainability.org/
We Do The Works Comments:
- Corporations only duty to its shareholders was not always that way.
- Mourn Not the Dead – Poem by Ralph Chaplin, recited by Mike Dumovich.
2. Listen to Speak Up! Speak Out! Radio
We are a half-hour weekly, locally-produced radio show committed to community, peace, justice, and non-violence issues. Topics and interviewees change weekly. Our shows are available anytime or subscribe to podcasts at http://www.speakupspeakoutradio.org/. Interested in getting SUSO e-News? Contact SUSOenews@gmail.com
SUSO Radio airs at:
- KSVR 91.7 FM, Mount Vernon, Wednesdays 5:00pm, rebroadcasts Sundays 8:00pm
- KMRE 102.3 FM, Bellingham, Sundays 11:00am and Wednesdays 7:30am
- KSVU 90.1 FM, Hamilton, Sundays 8:00pm and Thursdays 8:00am
Don Ambrose, Editor
NOTE – Please send all Newsletter submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org . I prefer to receive submissions by each Thursday but can accept them up to Saturday morning.