1. Fidalgo Democrats Candidates Forum Tuesday, Jul 12 at Anacortes Public Library, 1220 10th St. 6:30pm – meet and greet, 7:00pm – forum
The forum will be for Democratic candidates only with federal, state, and local candidates. A moderated question period will follow each group of candidates. The forum will be open to the public. Help yourself to coffee and homemade cookies. Please bring a non-perishable food item for the food bank donation box near the door. For questions call Corinne Salcedo, chair, at 293-7114.
2. NEW – 10th Legislative District Executive Board Meeting is scheduled for 10:00am, Saturday, Jul 23 at the Skagit Democrats Headquarters Office, 300A South First Street, Mount Vernon
3. NEW – 39th Legislative District Quarterly Meeting, Saturday, Jul 23, 10:00am – 1:00pm, Skagit Valley Food Co-op, The Co-op Building, 202 S 1st St, Mt Vernon
Everyone is invited. There will be no meeting in August because of the Evergreen State Fair.
4. NEW – 39th Legislative District GOTV (Get Out The Vote) Training with Ronda Metcalf, Wednesday, Jul 20, 11:30am- 1:00pm, 2817 A Rucker Avenue, Everett
5. NEW – Fundraiser for Hilary Franz for Commissioner of Public Lands, Thursday, Jul 21st, 6:00pm – 7:30pm, Double S Quarter Horses, 15216 Colony Road, Bow
Suggested Donations: Individual $150, Supporter $250, Co-host $500, Sponsor $1,000
6. NEW – Doris Brevoort Picnic/Rally Activities
- Tuesday, Jul 12th – Town Hall at the Coupeville Recreation Hall, 7:00pm – 8:30pm
- Thursday, Jul 14th – Potluck Picnic and dialogue in Stanwood (27116 90th Ave. NW), 4:30pm – 7:00pm – Music includes historic campaign songs on accordion!
- Saturday, Jul 16th – Lunch in Langley – Meet me in Langley at the park downtown, noon – 1:00pm. Bring a sandwich and discuss recent votes in the State House.
7. NEW – Skagit Democrats Headquarters needs some volunteers
- Summer is taking a toll on staff. There are some Wednesdays, all Thursdays and Fridays that need coverage. Please consider volunteering this summer, while long time staff is spending time with their families and helping other organizations. Campaigns and candidates are looking towards us for assistance as they work to turn the County, State and Federal offices “blue”. Call the Headquarters for information – 360-336-1555 or email email@example.com
- Mount Vernon Annual Sidewalk Sale – The downtown Mount Vernon Association is sponsoring their annual Sidewalk Sale July 29 and 30th. The hours are 10-5 each day (Friday/Saturday). With enough volunteers for the two days, Skagit Democrats could raise some more funds, be open and provide a space for campaigns to be visible in the community. If you would like to help with this event, please call HQ 360-336-1555 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. It can not happen without your help.
- Skagit County Fair – We will have a booth at the Skagit County Fair again this year next to the Labor booth. The Fair runs from August 10th through the 13th.We need volunteers to work 4 hour shifts: 10:00am–2:00pm, 2:00pm–6:00pm, and 6:00pm–10:00pm. We need 2 people per shift. Please call headquarters with your name, phone number and time-slot request. Tickets for gate entry will be purchased for volunteers.
8. NEW – Coordinated Campaign
The Coordinated Campaign for 2016 is now active in Skagit County. All of them need campaign volunteers for GOTV [Get out the Vote] in those areas. Please contact them if you want to volunteer. Or interested volunteers can also call Skagit Democrats Headquarters, 360-336-1555, and leave a message.
- John Gannon represents the 10th and 21st Legislative Districts – email@example.com. – He will be in the Skagit Dem Headquarters on Mondays. John was born and raised in Worcester, Massachusetts, and graduated from Northeastern University. John is responsible for organizing the 10th and 21st Legislative Districts on the Democratic Coordinated Campaign. Before working with the Washington Democrats, John was an organizer for the Bernie Sanders Presidential Campaign.
- Aubrey Stewart represents the 39th and 44th Legislative Districts – firstname.lastname@example.org – Aubrey was born and raised in Skagit County on the Swinomish Reservation, graduating from La Conner high school in 2014. She is a current student at the University of Washington. This is Aubrey’s first time working in politics. She wanted to get involved because she’s a passionate advocate of women’s rights, equal opportunities for marginalized communities, and better healthcare for all. Aubrey is responsible for organizing the 39th and 44th legislative districts for the upcoming primary, as well as the general election. She is very excited to help with the progress of the Democratic party in Skagit!
- Julianna Fisher represents the 40th and 42nd Legislative Districts – email@example.com – Julianna grew up on the coast of Maine and moved to Bellingham 5 years ago to attend Western Washington University, where she recently graduated with a degree in environmental policy and energy policy. She got involved in environmental activism and community organizing which motivated her to get involved in politics to bring about positive change. She is the field organizer for the 40th and 42nd legislative districts and is eager to help empower local communities all over the northwest.
- Colin Cole oversees their work in the various Legislative Districts. – firstname.lastname@example.org
9. NEW – I-735 Island/Skagit Update/Action Meeting – Let’s Overturn Citizens United! Monday, Jul 18th – 6:00pm at Skagit Democrats Headquarters
Initiative 735 says:
1. Money is NOT speech.
2. Corporations are NOT people.
3. Political contributions must be regulated and made public.
After all our years of hard work – and our SUCCESS in getting I-735 on the ballot – we want to make sure it passes resoundingly this fall.
Here’s how you can help make that happen and what you’ll learn at the meeting:
- Get an update on what WAmend has been doing behind the scenes.
- Find out which congressional members are supporting this initiative.
- Find out what the rest of the counties are doing to ensure passage.
- Decide on our goals, and what actions we will take to succeed. (Letters-to-the-editor writing campaign, outreach to supporting organizations, voter education, etc, etc.)
Learn about the some other initiatives that will also be on November’s ballot.
This meeting is for anyone from Island and Skagit counties and beyond who wants to help I-735 get a huge thumbs-up at the ballot box. WAmend’s Tiffani McCoy (Field Director) and Matt Streib (Communications) will join us to help answer any questions that we might have. We are also inviting WAmend representatives from Whatcom, Snohomish, and San Juan counties to see what they’re up to…maybe we’ll want to coordinate our efforts. Please bring some food and drink to share. Besides helping us get geared-up for a successful outcome, the meeting will also give us a chance to enjoy each other’s company, like minded souls that we are. . . See you all on July 18th!!
Maggie Sullivan (Skagit – 360-724-3158) and
Jane Jaehning (Island – 360-279-1261)
10. Support the Farm Workers for a Fair Contract, Monday, Jul 11, 3:30pm, Cook Rd and Old Hwy 99, Burlington
Gather in the parking lot at the corner of Cook Road and Old Highway 99 in Burlington, we will march (1.5 miles) to Sakuma Brothers Processing Plant for a short rally featuring FUJ members and supporters.
What to Bring: Signs, banners, bullhorns, and as many people as possible!
In solidarity with Familias Unidas por la Justicia (FUJ), please attend 4 Años de Lucha: Marcha por Un Contracto Justo (4 Years of Struggle: March for a Union Contract). As the berry season begins, FUJ’s fight for a union contract at Sakuma’s Brothers Berry Farm is at a critical juncture.
11. Our Skagit Regional Hospital Workers Need Our Help To Get A Fair Contract!
Please sign onto to their community letter as an individual or organization and then share widely with friends, family and neighbors. It is a concrete way to demand better standards for healthcare workers in Skagit County. Use this link to sign on:
The plan is to deliver the letter to the Skagit Board of Directors on July 12th, so please sign before then. And “Like” ‘ Keep Skagit Healthy‘ on Facebook to show additional support for their fight for basic rights on the job.
Janet McKinney, Labor-Democrat Work Group Coordinator
1. NEW – 2016 Shipwreck Fest – Jul 16, Commercial Street, Anacortes
The event technically starts at 8:00 am, but there are usually some businesses and booths that get started right at first light, just like the old time fishermen used to. This event features over 200 vendors set up in booths along Commercial street, each booth brings something new and usually very eclectic, and you are sure to find something that you can’t live without. There are also some food stands set up that serve a variety of different and delicious treats.
1. Listen to We Do the Work, Tuesdays, 6:30 pm, at KSVR, 91.7; KSVU, 90.1; or KSJU, 91.9 FM
A weekly local worker radio program that features news, interviews, music, and comments, “We Do the Work” believes American workers are at the heart of our economy and culture, deserving dignity, respect, and a decent family wage. To hear our other shows, go to We Do The Work Archives. Questions about interviews? Email email@example.com
NEW – We Do The Work’s program for Tuesday, July 12, 6:30pm, 91.7 FM, Tiffani McCoy, Field Director of I-735, a WAMend Campaign
We Do The Work Comments:
- The Democracy Spring Movement is calling for ending the choke-hold money has on our politics.
- Lots of judge appointments are being held up.
2. Listen to Speak Up! Speak Out! Radio
We are a half-hour weekly, locally-produced radio show committed to community, peace, justice, and non-violence issues. Topics and interviewees change weekly. Our shows are available anytime or subscribe to podcasts at http://www.speakupspeakoutradio.org/. Interested in getting SUSO e-News? Contact SUSOenews@gmail.com
SUSO Radio airs at:
- KSVR 91.7 FM, Mount Vernon, Wednesdays 5:00pm, rebroadcasts Sundays 8:00pm
- KMRE 102.3 FM, Bellingham, Sundays 11:00am and Wednesdays 7:30am
- KSVU 90.1 FM, Hamilton, Sundays 8:00pm and Thursdays 8:00am
Don Ambrose, Editor
NOTE – Please send all Newsletter submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org . I prefer to receive submissions by each Thursday but can accept them up to Saturday morning.
Skagit County Democrats
300A South 1st Street
Mount Vernon, WA 98273