1. Skagit Democrats Headquarters needs some volunteers
Summer is taking a toll on staff. There are some Wednesdays, all Thursdays and Fridays that need coverage. Please consider volunteering this summer, while long time staff is spending time with their families and helping other organizations. Campaigns and candidates are looking towards us for assistance as they work to turn the County, State and Federal offices “blue”. Call the HQ for information and remaining staff looks forward to hearing from you – 360-336-1555 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you, Skagit Democrats.
2. NEW –The 40th District Democrats endorsement meeting is scheduled for this Saturday, Jun 25, from Noon-2 p.m. at the Anacortes Library
Candidates seeking endorsement can read our bylaws about the process here. A convenient online endorsement questionnaire is available on our website under “endorsements.” Agenda to come. To add items to the agenda, email email@example.com.
3. Fidalgo Democrats plan to march in the Anacortes 4th of July Parade
Please meet at 10:15 am Monday, July 4th on O Avenue at about 2nd Street in Anacortes to march with us in the parade. Wear red, white, and blue, and Democratic gear, and look for the Fidalgo Democrats banner.
4. UPDATED– Fidalgo Democrats Candidates Forum Tuesday, Jul 12 at Anacortes Public Library, 1220 10th St. 6:30pm – meet and greet, 7:00pm – forum
The forum will be for Democratic candidates only with federal, state, and local candidates. A moderated question period will follow each group of candidates.
The forum will be open to the public. Help yourself to coffee and homemade cookies. Please bring a non-perishable food item for the food bank donation box near the door. For questions call Corinne Salcedo, chair, at 293-7114.
5. Support the Farm Workers for a Fair Contract, Monday, Jul 11, 3:30pm, Cook Rd and Old Hwy 99, Burlington
Gather in the parking lot at the corner of Cook Road and Old Highway 99 in Burlington, we will march (1.5 miles) to Sakuma Brothers Processing Plant for a short rally featuring FUJ members and supporters.
What to Bring: Signs, banners, bullhorns, and as many people as possible!
In solidarity with Familias Unidas por la Justicia (FUJ), please attend 4 Años de Lucha: Marcha por Un Contracto Justo (4 Years of Struggle: March for a Union Contract). As the berry season begins, FUJ’s fight for a union contract at Sakuma’s Brothers Berry Farm is at a critical juncture.
6. Gun Safety Initiative: I-1491, Extreme Risk Protection Orders – Please sign the petition at Skagit Democrats Headquarters! The last week in June is the deadline for collection of signatures!
I- 1491, Extreme Risk Protection Orders, if passed in November, would allow families and law enforcement to petition a judge to suspend gun access if an individual poses a serious threat to themselves or others. The initiative’s sponsor, the Alliance for Gun Responsibility, is the same organization that successfully got background checks for firearm purchases passed in 2014.
King 5 News announcing I-1491: http://bcove.me/qrerb7k9
7. Please sign I-1433! – Petitions are at Skagit Democrats Headquarters. Signatures must be received by July 8!
RaiseUp Washington is right for businesses, families, and the community. Labor, faith, and community groups have come together in 2016 to support working families by raising Washington’s minimum wage and expanding paid sick and safe leave throughout the state.
A ballot initiative, I-1433, has been filed to raise the minimum wage incrementally to $13.50/hour and allow all workers to earn up to seven days of paid sick and safe leave per year. Raising the minimum wage makes it possible for working families to contribute to the growth and stability of our state. The data proves that when workers have more money, businesses have more customers, more jobs are created, and there is less dependence on government and social programs. Everyone wins!
Thousands of volunteers are needed to place this important initiative on the November 2016 ballot. Please consider volunteering to gather signatures. If you have questions, please email April Sims, Field Mobilization Director for the Washington State Labor Council, or call her at 1-800-542-0904. For more information, go to http://www.raiseupwa.com/
NEW– 4th of July Celebrations
- Sedro-Woolley Loggerodeo – http://www.loggerodeo.org/
- Anacortes – http://members.anacortes.org/events/details/july-4th-celebration-07-04-2016-1947
- La Conner – http://www.lovelaconner.com/laconner-blog/4th-july-2016-laconner-wa/
1. Listen to We Do the Work, Tuesdays, 6:30 pm, at KSVR, 91.7; KSVU, 90.1; or KSJU, 91.9 FM
A weekly local worker radio program that features news, interviews, music, and comments, “We Do the Work” believes American workers are at the heart of our economy and culture, deserving dignity, respect, and a decent family wage. To hear our other shows, go to We Do The Work Archives. Questions about interviews? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
NEW –We Do The Work’s program for Tuesday, June 28, 6:30pm, 91.7 FM, Paul Hope, President of the Washington Education Association Fourth Corner, Part 2
Interview by Ken Winkes: Paul goes over what could happen to education and teachers in the Washington’s 2017 legislative session.
- Join with the Farm Workers for their 4th Annual March for a Contract, Monday, July 11, 3:30 pm, at the intersection of Old Hwy 99 and Cook Rd (Exit 232 from I-5 Freeway), Burlington, WA. For more information, go to https://boycottsakumaberries.com/page/2/.
2. Listen to Speak Up! Speak Out! Radio
We are a half-hour weekly, locally-produced radio show committed to community, peace, justice, and non-violence issues. Topics and interviewees change weekly. Our shows are available anytime or subscribe to podcasts at http://www.speakupspeakoutradio.org/. Interested in getting SUSO e-News? Contact SUSOenews@gmail.com
SUSO Radio airs at:
- KSVR 91.7 FM, Mount Vernon, Wednesdays 5:00pm, rebroadcasts Sundays 8:00pm
- KMRE 102.3 FM, Bellingham, Sundays 11:00am and Wednesdays 7:30am
- KSVU 90.1 FM, Hamilton, Sundays 8:00pm and Thursdays 8:00am
NEW – SUSO for Jun 29
Dave McConnell airs his annual 4th of July show for Speak Up! Speak out!
Don Ambrose, Editor
NOTE – Please send all Newsletter submissions to email@example.com . I prefer to receive submissions by each Thursday but can accept them up to Saturday morning.