1. Washington State Democratic Convention Gala Banquet with special guest speaker The Honorable Thomas E. Perez, Friday, Jun 17, 6:30pm – 8:30pm, Exhibit Hall A Greater Tacoma Convention and Trade Center, 1500 Broadway, Tacoma
Announcing! The 2016 Washington State Democratic Convention is this week, and we’ll be joined by a very special guest speaker visiting from the other Washington.
“Thomas Edward Perez is a member of the Democratic Party, a consumer advocate, and civil rights lawyer. Born in Buffalo, New York, Perez is a graduate of Boston University and Harvard Law School. He worked as a law clerk for the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado before serving in the Department of Justice from 1989 to 1995 as a federal prosecutor, and as Deputy Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights under Attorney General Janet Reno. On March 18, 2013, Perez was nominated by President Barack Obama to be the United States Secretary of Labor, replacing outgoing Secretary Hilda Solis. He was confirmed by the Senate on July 18 and sworn in on July 23, 2013.”
2. NEW – Skagit Democrats HQ needs some volunteers.
Summer is taking a toll on staff. There are some Wednesdays, all Thursdays and Fridays that need coverage. Please consider volunteering this summer, while long time staff is spending time with their families and helping other organizations. Campaigns and candidates are looking towards us for assistance as they work to turn the County, State and Federal offices “blue”. Call the HQ for information and remaining staff looks forward to hearing from you – 360-336-1555 or email@example.com. Thank you, Skagit Democrats.
3. Fidalgo Democrats Meeting, Tuesday, Jun 14th, 7:00pm at Anacortes Public Library, 1220 10th St., Anacortes
40th LD Rep. Kristine Lytton will speak about “What You Don’t Know About the Legislative Session.” A moderated period of questions and comments will follow.
Please bring friends, family, or colleagues. Help yourself to coffee and homemade cookies. Please bring a non-perishable food item for the food bank donation box near the door. For more information call Corinne Salcedo, chair, at 293-7114.
4. NEW – Skagit County Fundraiser in Support of Angie Homola, Friday, Jun 17, 5:30pm to 7:00pm, Hillcrest Park, 1717 S 13th St., Mount Vernon
More information, or to RSVP, please contact: AngieForPeopleManager@gmail.com.
Join us for ice cream in the park and learn why Angie wants to represent you as the 10th Legislative District State Senator.
5. UPDATED – 10th Legislative District Executive Board Meeting, Friday, Jun 24, San Remo’s Grill, 421 NE Midway Blvd, Oak Harbor. Breakfast at 9:00am and then meet at 10:00am.
6. Fundraising Event for 40th Legislative District Delegation, Monday, Jun 20, 6:00pm to 8:00pm, Taylor Samish Farm Shellfish Market at 2182 Chuckanut Drive in Bow
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. 40th District Executive Board Meeting, Tuesday, Jun 21, 5:00pm – 6:00pm. Location TBA
8. 39th LD Executive Board Meeting, Jun 25,10:00am – 1:00pm, Buzz Inn Steakhouse, 5200 172nd St NE, Arlington
9. 40th Legislative District General Membership Meeting, Saturday, Jun 25, 12:00pm – 2:00pm, Anacortes Public Library, 10th Street, Anacortes
10. Linda Wright is running for 39th Legislative District Representative, Position #1. Find electlindawright on Facebook
Make checks out to:
Committee to Elect Linda Wright
1242- State Ave STE I PMB 223
Marysville WA 98270
11. Information for Precinct Delegate and Alternates and other interested Democrats
Check the Skagit County Democrats’ Website for additional information about the upcoming State Convention. For any Questions contact Bob Doll, Skagit County Democrats Chair at email@example.com or 360-202-6212
- Washington State Democrats State Convention, Tacoma, June 17-19
- National Democratic Convention, Philadelphia, PA, July 25-28
12. Please Sign This Petition to SAVE Skagit EMS!
Skagit citizens along with your Professional Firefighters and Paramedics have serious concerns regarding the proposed changes to your EMS services in Mount Vernon, Burlington, Anacortes, Sedro Woolley, and Skagit County.
Your high quality EMS services in Skagit are at risk. SAVE Skagit EMS! Click Here to sign the petition.
13. Gun Safety Initiative: I-1491, Extreme Risk Protection Orders – Please sign the petition at Skagit Democrats Headquarters! The last week in June is the deadline for collection of signatures!
I- 1491, Extreme Risk Protection Orders, if passed in November, would allow families and law enforcement to petition a judge to suspend gun access if an individual poses a serious threat to themselves or others. The initiative’s sponsor, the Alliance for Gun Responsibility, is the same organization that successfully got background checks for firearm purchases passed in 2014.
King 5 News announcing I-1491: http://bcove.me/qrerb7k9
14. Please sign I-1433! – Petitions are at Skagit Democrats Headquarters. Signatures must be received by July 8!
RaiseUp Washington is right for businesses, families, and the community. Labor, faith, and community groups have come together in 2016 to support working families by raising Washington’s minimum wage and expanding paid sick and safe leave throughout the state.
A ballot initiative, I-1433, has been filed to raise the minimum wage incrementally to $13.50/hour and allow all workers to earn up to seven days of paid sick and safe leave per year. Raising the minimum wage makes it possible for working families to contribute to the growth and stability of our state. The data proves that when workers have more money, businesses have more customers, more jobs are created, and there is less dependence on government and social programs. Everyone wins!
Thousands of volunteers are needed to place this important initiative on the November 2016 ballot. Please consider volunteering to gather signatures. If you have questions, please email April Sims, Field Mobilization Director for the Washington State Labor Council, or call her at 1-800-542-0904. For more information, go to http://www.raiseupwa.com/
NEW – Burlington Berry Dairy Days, Jun 17 – 19
For more than 75 years, Burlington has entertained thousands at the Berry Dairy Days three day festival. This festival was started by the Burlington Volunteer Firemen. Berry Dairy Days is a celebration of the local agriculture and dairy industry that has shaped Burlington & the Skagit Valley for many years. During Berry Dairy Days you will be treated to local strawberry shortcake served up by the Burlington Edison Cheerleaders. Activities include fireworks, parade, and car show. Check out activities and schedule Here and Here.
1. Listen to We Do the Work, Tuesdays, 6:30 pm, at KSVR, 91.7; KSVU, 90.1; or KSJU, 91.9 FM
A weekly local worker radio program that features news, interviews, music, and comments, “We Do the Work” believes American workers are at the heart of our economy and culture, deserving dignity, respect, and a decent family wage. To hear our other shows, go to We Do The Work Archives. Questions about interviews? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
NEW – We Do The Work’s program for Tuesday, Jun 14, 6:30pm, 91.7 FM, Skagit Hospital Workers UFCW 21
Interview by Ken Winkes: John Bennett and Tony Harrah talk about the current contract negotiations. For more information, go to the Keep Skagit Healthy Facebook Page.
We Do The Work Comments:
- Workers need to pay attention to what is happening with their state government.
- The uninsured rate has plunged to the lowest rate ever recorded.
2. Listen to Speak Up! Speak Out! Radio
We are a half-hour weekly, locally-produced radio show committed to community, peace, justice, and non-violence issues. Topics and interviewees change weekly. Our shows are available anytime or subscribe to podcasts at http://www.speakupspeakoutradio.org/. Interested in getting SUSO e-News? Contact SUSOenews@gmail.com
SUSO Radio airs at:
- KSVR 91.7 FM, Mount Vernon, Wednesdays 5:00pm, rebroadcasts Sundays 8:00pm
- KMRE 102.3 FM, Bellingham, Sundays 11:00am and Wednesdays 7:30am
- KSVU 90.1 FM, Hamilton, Sundays 8:00pm and Thursdays 8:00am
Don Ambrose, Editor
NOTE – Please send all Newsletter submissions to email@example.com . I prefer to receive submissions by each Thursday but can accept them up to Saturday morning.